Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gear Selection Problem

Clutchless

Hi chaps, would really appreciate any help you can give

I'm having a gear selection problem with my manual IS200. What I’m finding is that occasionally when I go to select 1st or 2nd gear, the lever won’t go into position (like pushing against a solid object) but as soon as I release the pressure on the gear lever a little, it slots into position no problem at all. Although still only occasional, the problem happens more often when the car is cold.

I had the clutch changed in the summer and it has only started happening since then, but when I took it back to the garage they didn’t really have any clue, but indicated that the gearbox may be on its way out. This seems unlikely to me as the car is only 8 years old (7 with me), on 62k miles and has a full dealer service history.

Can anyone please help before I go and spend another small fortune!

Many thanks in advance

I thought the above was a blank post, then I highlighted it and found this.

"Hi chaps, would really appreciate any help you can give

I'm having a gear selection problem with my manual IS200. What I’m finding is that occasionally when I go to select 1st or 2nd gear, the lever won’t go into position (like pushing against a solid object) but as soon as I release the pressure on the gear lever a little, it slots into position no problem at all. Although still only occasional, the problem happens more often when the car is cold.

I had the clutch changed in the summer and it has only started happening since then, but when I took it back to the garage they didn’t really have any clue, but indicated that the gearbox may be on its way out. This seems unlikely to me as the car is only 8 years old (7 with me), on 62k miles and has a full dealer service history.

Can anyone please help before I go and spend another small fortune!

Many thanks in advance "

Sadly I can't help, maybe somebody else can?

By the way, did everybody else think it was blank, or just me?

I had a look at the exploded diagram to see if there were adjustments for the linkages or bushes but it wasn't too clear.

It sounds like a misaligned gear selector problem but without the service manual it will be difficult to check.

Where did you have the clutch fitted it seems too much of a coincidence it started after it was fitted and the garage fobbed you off with the worn gearbox excuse.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links