Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hows This For Not Fair

fil4362

I have just been out in my show car, a mint 1992 e36 BWM Schniter.. Anyway i had my show plates on it as i forgot to remove them from the last show, next show on sunday and as its been stood for 3 weeks was just running it out to check for sticky brakes and so on before sunday.

I was pulled over by the police and instantly thought bloody plates, so i offered to change them there and then as they only clip into the holders and i had the street legal ones in the boot. The copper told me he wasnt interested in the plates he was havign me for speeding. Now honestly i couldnt tell you how fast i was driving i may well have been over the limit. The copper told me i must have been way over the limit as he had to do 70 to catch up. He told me he was issuing a section 59 on the car. Basicly the next time the car is seen driving badly the car will be seized. NO trai,l NO evidance, NO proof anything illegal had actually happened just the say so of the copper.

Ferther more it doesnt matter if it was me driving it at the time, so my wife could be driign next week the copper decided its been driven "anti socially" and kick her out of it and seize the car. This has to be the worse most stupid law there is. I uunderstand gettign boy racers of the street but to seize a car purely on the say so of a copper has to be wrong!!!

I have just been out in my show car, a mint 1992 e36 BWM Schniter.. Anyway i had my show plates on it as i forgot to remove them from the last show, next show on sunday and as its been stood for 3 weeks was just running it out to check for sticky brakes and so on before sunday.

I was pulled over by the police and instantly thought bloody plates, so i offered to change them there and then as they only clip into the holders and i had the street legal ones in the boot. The copper told me he wasnt interested in the plates he was havign me for speeding. Now honestly i couldnt tell you how fast i was driving i may well have been over the limit. The copper told me i must have been way over the limit as he had to do 70 to catch up. He told me he was issuing a section 59 on the car. Basicly the next time the car is seen driving badly the car will be seized. NO trai,l NO evidance, NO proof anything illegal had actually happened just the say so of the copper.

Ferther more it doesnt matter if it was me driving it at the time, so my wife could be driign next week the copper decided its been driven "anti socially" and kick her out of it and seize the car. This has to be the worse most stupid law there is. I uunderstand gettign boy racers of the street but to seize a car purely on the say so of a copper has to be wrong!!!

Personally I wouldn't just let that go. You'd be surprised at what can be achieved by asking to speak (in person) to a superior officer and explaining the situation. Worth a try surely?

i have checked the rules on this one and it would appear section 59 is pretty well much a public order offence, with a car. If you bother to read it (very complicated bit of law with a sub section on a sub section) its really difficult to find a situation where it couldnt be applied. Failing to to indicate could be seen as "annoying" to other road users, and therefore subject to a section 59 warning. As there is no need for evidence to issue the warning theres nothing to argue.

The other thing that seems stupid is that the warning is against the car not the driver, as i have 6 cars 3 of which have a "cherished" number plate would they be able to seize one of my other cars if i swapped number plates between cars (legally swapped of course). Also as the warnign is against the car i could sell it and the new owner would be subject to the warning !!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links