Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Many Ct200's Are Being Taken As A Company Car

Boyfrom64

I am currently looking at my options when I change my company car in September and have organised a 48 hour test drive the week after next.

Currently I drive an Audi A4, 2.0 litre diesel engine and I am considering changing it for a CT200f Sport or a 200h SE-L Premier however, whilst concerns is a bit strong, I certainly do have questions that I am hoping can be answered by members of this forum.

1. What is it like to drive a car with a CVT gearbox, up to now I have always driven a manual gearbox car
  2. Will I be able to live with a reduced amount a power. My A4 is only a 140 bhp engine but even so it is still more powerful that a CT and as I drive somewhere between 25 - 30,000 miles a year, which includes a lot of motorway driving I am not sure what it will be like to live with a lower power engine
  3. The size of the car and specifically the amount of space in the back for rear seat passengers

I will be very grateful for any feedback on the above questions and to the thoughts of anyone who has a CT as a company car.

I too am a company car driver, love the tax benefits, must say! In reply to your questions:-

1) One of the key musts I had on my list was an automatic gearbox. Whilst the CVT version in the CT is not a true automatic, I find it fine, whilst a little strange at the same time. Gets a little getting used to the way it revs so high, sounds like the engine is screaming at times. I dread to think what it must sound like to someone outside...........they must think you (or me) have lost the plot

2) I came from a IS220D to the CT so that was a drop from 170bhp. To be honest, I do not notice any difference at all, if anything, the CT is quite potent, especially when in sports mode. I have never had an instance in 12 months of ownership where I felt I was 'down on power'

3) Yes, space is at a premium in the rear and boot space is not the best. However, can fairly easily get 3 kids in the back (11 - 17) and it is not too bad for adults either, passenger / driver may need to adjust their seats forwards a tad but not too much

Overall, I am delighted I went to for the CT, whilst it may not be the most powerful / largest car it suits my needs, saves me £100s a year and I do generally love the car, have not had a single issue with it in nearly 12 months of ownership.

Grant,

Thanks very much for the feedback. There is no doubting that the reduction in taxation is a big pull towards this car.

Like you one of key musts for my next car is an automatic gearbox, so I will be interesting to see what it is like when I have a test drive the week after next.

If you have come down from a 170 bhp engine and have not noticed any lack of power then that is music to my ears as is the space in the back for rear seat passengers.

Once again, many thanks for the feedback

Stephen

Hi. I drove a BMW 320d Touring for 3 years. Thought it was time to downsize. Options where BMW 1 or A3. My decision to go for the CT was down to BIK of 10 percent and specification of the Lexus.

Yes there is a marked difference in boot space but learning to carry less when we go away, well should say my wife is.

I am driving slower than before but this is no bad thing. In sport mode the car is quick enough away. Only use Sport mode when power is required.

I agree that the engine noise at high revs is a bit unusual but like everything else you get used to it.

Absolutely no problem for me motorway driving at between 70-80 mph.

4 months and 10,000 miles on and I am totally happy with my decision and have no regrets at all.

Hope this helps

By way of a contrast, I am 6'2" and there really isnt very much room at all behind my seat for any passenger other than a child up to 5 years of age. I also used to have an Audi 2 litre TDI and I do notice the diference at motorway speeds. I travel only 20.000 miles a year on a daily commute on non motorway roads and the CT200 is in its own world, its comfortable, economical, responsive to throttle input at speeds below 60mph. Handling on the 16" tyres is good enough to cause embarrassment to other road users and so I can only imagine that 17"tyres would be better in the dry and worse in the wet.

If my 20,000 miles took me along motorways, I would be headed back to a diesel if I were to be honest.

Oh the brakes! In an emergency situation, the brakes are ace! The hard CT200 suspension settings compliment the braking performance perfectly its almost as if they designed the CT200 to stop in any given situation in much the same way as it can be made to go ( my car is the SE-i base model and so doesnt suffer from traction control which , from what I can surmise, is a right pain if my wifes prius spirit is anything to go by)

Otherwise, I agree with GJD in many respects.

Steve and Geof, thanks very much for your replies and your thoughts on your cars.

I do spend a lot of time on motorways and during my 48 hour test drive I will certainly be trying out the performance of the car on a motorway.

Rear seat passengers will benefit by the fact that I am only 5'8" and my wife 5'2".

I realise that coming on to a CT200 forum that it would be very rare to find a bad word about the car. However, the main positive feeling I am getting from everyone, is that the car feels a quality piece of engineering and that it will surprise many people by how good it is if they were to drive one.

I have just taken delivery of my CT having changed from an IS 220d. I am very pleased with the car, like Reecey I feel I am driving slower than before but can accelerate faster if needed and the cornering is good. The ride is a little harder than the IS and the brakes are better, space inside is OK (5’8”) for me and the rear seat passenger, boot space is a little tight but acceptable. I do a mix of local and motorway driving and feel this is a good mix for the car, I think if I was doing 20k plus a year and this was mainly motorway I would have gone for another diesel. It’s a shame the IS 200d is pretty much end of life or I would have been tempted. Overall I am very happy with the car and would recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have had a 200F Sport on a 24 hour test drive and whilst it is a nice car, I am afraid that I will not be taking one as my next company car.

The build quality and the materials used are excellent. I found the driving position comfortable and the CVT gearbox was not as bad as the reports I have read. However, the size of the car is to little for my needs and the car lacks the power I need for overtaking when I am on a motorway.

The positives however, are that I am more than impressed by the brand. The service and treatment I received from Lexus Birmingham was excellent and when I come around to replacing the car I will have later this year, I will most definitely be looking at the replacement to the IS due out next year.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links