Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300 Help Urgent

Hi everybody

We live in Liverpool and yesterday my bro travelled down to oxford in his 52 is300.. He was about 10 miles away and could smell burning

Bonnet up and the power steering belt and pulley hanging off

Aa came an said he can put a temp belt on but will have. No power steering. Only problem was he only had 1 to big and 1 to small.

Anybody in the Banbury area that can help?? Maybe know what size belt to use??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Anuj

My brother just sent me this additional info-

Hi, basically my cars pulley for the power steering has failed therefore destroying the timing belt (it was hanging off the pulley almost!)

It is currently in the garage being looked at and I am stranded 200 miles away from home whilst it is being repaired (I am working in a local hospital in the mean time).

The breakdown assistant who towed me tried to place a belt onto the drive part of the car, therefore the pulleys of the AC and Power steering would not be used.

Does anybody know the size that is required so the engine can be started and the 2 other pullies are bypassed? The engine fired up but the belt used was a little too big therefore hitting the tensioner.

I would rather have the smaller belt fitted instead of the power steering pump until i get home as mechanics have rang me and said it is £1500 to repair!

Car is a 2002 IS300 with 133k miles.

Cheers!

try ringing Lexus near you and get the belt part number and maybe Eurocar parts might have it in stock. but i dont think its advisable to drive or start the car with a damaged timing belt.

The power steering pulley is damaged, therefore I am asking what size of belt would be adequate for just to start the engine and bypass the AC and PS which require the full size belt to operate all pulleys

The power steering pulley is damaged, therefore I am asking what size of belt would be adequate for just to start the engine and bypass the AC and PS which require the full size belt to operate all pulleys

Probably worthwhile trying Lexus Garages to see if they have a power-steering pulley & the full-sized belt in stock. It is possible that it is the same pulley on the IS200 or other Lexus models so there is a chance. But first make sure the power steering vane-pump is not seized or excessively stiff which may have stuffed the belt - or one of the other items on the route of the belt. It is of course possible a cracked/faulty pulley caused the whole problem when it finally gave up. The pulley is held on by one bolt. I take it you are sure the cam-belt is OK? Sorry I can't find the part Nos of the pulley or belt.

Have now got the part Nos & prices from Lexus Guildford who are unfailingly helpful:

Pulley P/N 4431122091 £102.08 + VAT

Belt P/N 99366D1930 £23.93 + VAT

The belt is the full-sized proper one. Should be in stock or on next-day delivery from most Toyota or Lexus Garages, but the pulley is unlikely to be in stock & may take 3 days to arrive from the Lexus Distribution Centre in Belgium from when ordered.

If you don't replace these, it will be no fun to drive the car any distance without power steering and it could be dangerous. I don't know the IS300 well & can't see from the diagrams if the same belt also drives the water-pump. That must be driven or the car will seriously overheat very quickly.

£ 102.08 for the pulley seems a lot; but £1500 to do this job sounds very steep. Best of luck.

Hi, thanks for the reply, the car is currently 20 miles away from where I am working, I finish work around 4pm and will head back to see if they can sort anything on the car with a smaller belt for example.

Looking at options to recover it back to Liverpool on a flat bed but that is not looking very likely.

If they can repair it today, im going to drive home today and straight to a garage.

All depends on if they can source a 6 toothed belt in the local area that can get me home.....

Thank you for the reply! The water pump and main drive will be driven by the belt and the breakdown company actually got the car started just by connecting two pullies which included the water pump.

Only items that were not in motion were the Air conditioning and power steering.

I understand this could be dangerous without power steering but a slow drive home (150 miles) should be ok.?

I am still waiting for mechanic to call regarding the pully malfunction and if they can start the car safely without use of AC and PS pullies

Thank you for the reply! The water pump and main drive will be driven by the belt and the breakdown company actually got the car started just by connecting two pullies which included the water pump.

Only items that were not in motion were the Air conditioning and power steering.

I understand this could be dangerous without power steering but a slow drive home (150 miles) should be ok.?

I am still waiting for mechanic to call regarding the pully malfunction and if they can start the car safely without use of AC and PS pullies

I think you may have underestimated just how stiff the steering is going to be. Put it this way, I wouldn't drive 150 miles like that. Completely draining the PS fluid should make it more free so that the steering wheel is just working the steering rather than trying to push the PS fluid where it doesn't want to go, and will be kinder to the seals in the rack - but you will have to bleed it thoroughly when you refill it. If you are not sure how, look on this site which is the repair manual where the bits under 2JZ GE refer to the IS 300:

http://bahamutcars.f.../menu_tree.html

It is not going to matter if the AC & PS pulleys are disconnected as far as running the engine is concerned providing the belt drive to the other bits is secure and as a precaution the A/C is set to off to avoid confusing its control system.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links