Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking To Buy A Is200

Hi guys, my name is Ben, currently driving a 1999 nissan 200sx, its great fun, i love driving it, it ticks all the right boxes for me, but im getting older, the kids are getting bigger and well, i fancy something with a little more quality, style and some gadgets. Really like the look of the IS200. Would like to know what models best, your thoughts on tuning and styling, that sort of thing. Ive read a few forums on engine swaps etc, its not something im looking into now, as the funds or knowledge are not available. Its something ill get stuck into after a few years.

Anyways look forward to having a chat with a few of you guys.

Cheers Ben

Hi mate, although i have stopped tampering with whats under the bonnet of my cars and tend to leave my engines standard these days, all Lexus engines are good and built tough the 1G-FE in the IS200 can take a supercharger nicely to boost power to about 215 bhp without changing internals and transmision but will obviously cost you some ££'s or you can uprade to Lexus/Toyotas best kept secret!! a 2JZ-GE which has powered the legendary Supra and Lexus wanted some so asked for it in the IS300 and with this engine, you can send 500 bhp to the rear wheels by turbo charging it without changing internals of the engine. the stock automatic gearbox can handle 400bhp easily but might need slight changes to go further to 500 but yet still 400bhp is ISF teritory. So as you can see the engine and drive train in the IS300 is a MONSTER!!

in a nut shell, 1G-FE in IS200 will limit you to 220 bhp maximum due to having an economy head and valves and engine in IS300 can take you to bhp's exceeding over 700bhp due to having Yamaha built Sports head and Sports Cams/valves if you want to go mad with it...

PS. IS300 (2JZ) even in stock still rubs shoulders with some high end performance cars which has surprised both myself and the drivers of those cars..hope this helps with your decision!!

Hi mate. I used to have a 200SX also, sweet car if looked after! If you go straight from that to the IS200 then you'll think the engine is broke first time you drive it lol! The power difference feels alot! You have to keep the IS at 4000rpm and above to get any performance. The power gap can be overcome with a supercharger (super expensive!) or go for the 3.0 IS300. I looked for the 300 but every one I saw was high mileage or been thrashed to bits and sounded like a bag of nails. Good luck finding a good 1. If you go for the 200 then try to find a sport. Fully loaded with all the extras that came on a 200 plus limited slip diff, lower suspension and 18inch wheels. It handles like its on rails in the dry, absolute pig in the wet! Great fun turn the traction control off and see :)

Even though the IS200 is the slowest car I've had in the last ten years it's still my favourite and I love it! Always looking for an excuse to drive it. Running costs are high, drinks petrol like you got a leak, get about 320 miles from £75 less if your town driving. The extras are brilliant and the refinement unbelievable but if your used to power you may be a little dissapointed with the performance.

Hi mate. I used to have a 200SX also, sweet car if looked after! If you go straight from that to the IS200 then you'll think the engine is broke first time you drive it lol! The power difference feels alot! You have to keep the IS at 4000rpm and above to get any performance. The power gap can be overcome with a supercharger (super expensive!) or go for the 3.0 IS300. I looked for the 300 but every one I saw was high mileage or been thrashed to bits and sounded like a bag of nails. Good luck finding a good 1. If you go for the 200 then try to find a sport. Fully loaded with all the extras that came on a 200 plus limited slip diff, lower suspension and 18inch wheels. It handles like its on rails in the dry, absolute pig in the wet! Great fun turn the traction control off and see :)

Even though the IS200 is the slowest car I've had in the last ten years it's still my favourite and I love it! Always looking for an excuse to drive it. Running costs are high, drinks petrol like you got a leak, get about 320 miles from £75 less if your town driving. The extras are brilliant and the refinement unbelievable but if your used to power you may be a little dissapointed with the performance.

Like they always say Lexus engines are like fine wine they get better with miles so even a car with 150,000 miles on it has only done about half its life. People say manual transmissions break before Lexus engines so long as one changes the oil every 10,000 miles they can do an equilvalent of trip(distance) to the moon 234,000 miles on same gearbox, clutch and exhaust (if maintained).

Mine had 104,000 miles when i got it and doesnt struggle to hit 130mph which is the max i have taken it but I sense it can go past the stated 140mph as at 130 the revs was at 4750rpm so it still had 1500rpm to go...

mileage is nothing on a Lexus engine if maintained.

Don't get me wrong I didn't mean to disregard high mileage but make sure they've been serviced and maintained properly. I looked at 4 IS300 and all were above 100,000, one was even at 215,000 but they hadn't been maintained properly. No service history, smelt funny on test drive, sounded rough etc.... That's what I meant by saying good luck finding a good 1. I gave up and bought a IS200 Sport. Plenty of good examples of these about. I got mine, 2001 with 75,000 on the clock, full service history, timing belts done etc... And it drive like a dream on the test drive.

As you say a well maintained Lexus just keeps going forever, it's why I bought one :)

Thanks for the reply guys, the one thing that worries me is jumping into a lexus, putting the hammer down and finding its lacking turbo.... I no its not everything and i keep telling my self that. As for the conversions, i seen that super chargers are mega bucks, for little gain. I think a engine swap would be the way forward. Looking at both the IS200 and 300, are they both the same car?, hence a 2jz would fit in a 200 as it would a 300? As for low mileage goes without saying, the lower the better, but if a high miler although serviced regular and look after i dont see a problem with getting one with a few extra K's under its bonnet. Im a mechanic by trade so maintenance is not going to be too much of an issue.

ive also heard the 1jz engine will fit in aswel, isnt that whats in a soarer?

The 200 and 300 are the same car with different engines. So whatever would fit into a 200 will fit into a 300 :)

you just didn't mention the amount of work to get it sorted: needed = complete running gear, engine, ecu, wiring, front brakes, front suspension etc etc etc you'll be better off buying an is300 as the conversion is expensive and takes a long time.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links