Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Figs Engineering: Supra Disc Upgrade

Right guys, time for my next upgrade/mod!

I am in the process of ordering, after having a chat with Mike from FIGS, a set of caliper brackets that will allow me to mount my stock calipers further out, enabling me to run 323mm UK Spec Supra discs instead of the 296mm stock ones.

It really is a no brainer if you're thinking about a brake upgrade for an IS200/IS300/Altezza.

My reasons for going for this upgrade over doing the whole Supra caliper upgrade are as follows.

• No chopping bits off or removing the dust guard
  • You don't have to remove or bleed the brake lines
  • Useable stopping power is virtually identical to the Supra TT calipers, as the tyres become a limiting factor if you go any higher
  • WAY cheaper to buy and maintain
  • Better modulation/pedal feel while braking

Installation

Intallation is simple on these. It's only two steps more than changing your brake rotors during a normal brake job. (Three if you're adding SS lines when you do it.)

-Once your car is lifted securely with the wheels removed you will unbolt & remove the caliper just like when you're changing pads. *If you're doing brake lines now is the time to do it. *

-Remove pads & pad clips from the caliper bracket. You'll need the pad clips for the new bracket.

-Remove the 2-17mm bolts that hold the bracket & remove bracket.

-Remove stock rotor from hub

-Bend back top & bottom of dust sheild approx. 1/4 inch to clear TT rotor (I left these on as they aid in cooling)

-place Supra rotor on hub & check dust sheild clearance. Once ok procede.

-either remove slide pins from stock caliper bracket & press into new caliper bracket **or** press new slide pins into new caliper bracket (pay attention top & bottom are different)

-install new caliper bracket (pay attention to right & left sides)

-install pad clips & pads

-replace caliper & bleed brakes

-bed pads & enjoy.

And a small quote from a guy who has done his maths...

The force (torque) is directly proportional to the increase in size (radius.) t = F x R

So since the force is equal (same caliper, same piston cross section) the increase in torque is directly the increase in radius.

So 1" on top of 11.7" is an 8% increase in potential braking force. Add in the metalurgical differences of the alloyed rotors and the improved thermal charateristics and I would throw another 5-10% given my experience with the two peice rotors I am running.

I've already ordered the Supra discs and new front pads, and I've also decided to fit new rubber boots and slide pins while I'm at it.

Also just to note, Mike has done me a good deal on this set, as my intention is that once you guys see what a great upgrade this is, we can then organise a group buy with FIGS.

So just to summarise: Stock IS200 Calipers, Stock IS200 Pads, UK Supra Discs

These are not my pictures, but here are a few I found on an american forum to show the brackets, and how the Supra discs look with OEM 17" wheels fitted...

P1070960.jpg

DSCN0648.jpg

DSCN0674.jpg

DSCN0693.jpg

And here's some of the praise they are getting over in the states...

The feel during normal driving is nearly identical to stock.

When you really start to lay onto the brakes it is much more consistant. The heating process comes on much later & stays much cooler than the stocks.

I did several high speed stops that would normally have a very noticable hot metal smell, yet I barely noticed that familiar scent. That tells me these are much cooler.

If you are planning for boost down the road this is a great kit. Not mearly as expensive as a traditional BBK and you can easily install the base version now and upgrade the lines and fluid when you get your boost project going. Since it uses factory pads, the maintenance expense is the same as what it would be for OEM, but you will enjoy the benefits of better daily braking (depending on your tires) and still keep it from getting too expensive. I cannot think of a situation where increased braking is a negative, only the cost of maintenance over the span of use.
3 Month Update

So far everything is great.

I've done several drift events, a couple road trips (LA & back), twisty fun (Red Rock Loop) & a bit of high speed driving.

The pedal feel is still strong & consistant even under repeated braking. That equates to a high level of confidence. I can now say the tires are my limiting factor on braking once again.

Personaly, I don't think you'll be able to come close to this performance without spending 2-3x's the money.

Really enjoying these.

Handling the heat well. Just went to some really sticky street tires (Toyo R1Rs). Still work great.

I'm getting too spoiled. Gonna have to take it easy when winter comes back.

I thought the stock brakes were real good....these are on a whole nother level and I love them. The pedal is consistent during hard braking and I haven't had them fade at all. Definitely a worthwhile pickup since they are around 1/3 the price of a BBK for the front from some companies. I think its the best bang for the buck.
straight forward install with a simple bleed of the lines. performance wise....wow... stock was pretty good, but these are amazing...i have more confidence in my braking...less fade, more consistent braking. i love this package
Just installed the OEM BBK. All I have to say is: ****, this thing works great! you really feel a big difference when piling on the brakes at high speeds, halls the car down excellent.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links