Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Some Number Plate Advice Needed Please.

I will soon be putting my car up for sale on Autotrader and am hoping to replace it with a similar spec (SE-L Multimedia) IS250.

I currently have a personalised number plate on my car which i wish to retain ready for the next car. i know that to retain the plate will cost me £105.00 and that I will have to re-register my current car with either the original number or an appropriate year plate i.e. 57.

I am wondering if anyone on the LOC has completed this procedure when selling their car privately. I imagine that it is a much easier process if a deal is done by way of part exchange where there is only a garage/dealership involved.

My concern is that if i secure a buyer and complete the re-registering process and then the buyer backs out for whatever reason, what happens then? Obviously if I get another buyer immediately, no problem but if I should then fail to sell it, can I cancel the re-register?

Hopefully someone will read this who has gone through the process and will be able to explain.

Many thanks in advance of some help/guidance.

P.S. Too many options to go through to get to speak to anyone at the DVLA, thought I might get a quicker answer here.

Hi, I took my private plate of my car a couple of months ago as I thought I would have a go at selling the car privately, it only took around 10 days for the new registration, MOT and tax disc to come through and another 7 days until I got the retention certificate with my private plate on.

I am not sure if I have understood you main question completely but I would assume that if you did not sell the car or decided to keep it you can just reassign your private plate back to your car as you would to any car.

Chris

Hi, I took my private plate of my car a couple of months ago as I thought I would have a go at selling the car privately, it only took around 10 days for the new registration, MOT and tax disc to come through and another 7 days until I got the retention certificate with my private plate on.

I am not sure if I have understood you main question completely but I would assume that if you did not sell the car or decided to keep it you can just reassign your private plate back to your car as you would to any car.

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for coming in on this. Any idea of the cost involved in re-registering my car with the original number plate or just another 57 plate. I am aware of the £105.00 to retain my private plate. I suppose I could get the ball rolling now to re-register, that would save a bit of time.

The £105 fee includes the registration fee and to put your private number plate on a retention certificate. So it wont cost you any more money to either, put it on another car or back onto your car if you decide not to change it, except for the cost of the number plates for your 57 plate car. If you have kept the original number plates off your 57 plate car when you put the private plates on, then there is a high chance your car will have the same number plate reassigned to your car. So you wont have to buy any new ones.

Chris

The £105 fee includes the registration fee and to put your private number plate on a retention certificate. So it wont cost you any more money to either, put it on another car or back onto your car if you decide not to change it, except for the cost of the number plates for your 57 plate car. If you have kept the original number plates off your 57 plate car when you put the private plates on, then there is a high chance your car will have the same number plate reassigned to your car. So you wont have to buy any new ones.

Chris

Hi again Chris, Thanks again for this info. That all works out quite inexpensive then. I thought that there would be another charge for getting the 57 plate but, it seems that about £150.00 will cover all. Thanks again.. Just hope that I get a buyer now, fingers crossed, don't know what the private market is like at the mo. Not very impressed with what Lexus are offering me, especially as I've only had the car for 8 months!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links