Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300 Reluctant To Start In Mornings...

you lot will think I am crazy but as i confirmed earlier in this thread, this issue was cured by me using a high octane fuel Shell V power for that matter. as others, I also thought ti was my Battery or spark plugs so changed my plugs to OEM Toyota ones and same as the Battery aswell but no joy. was running a fuel test and during my V power test the car starts up in cold morning instantly with no hesitation. I am now using Shell normal unleaded and the symptons have re surfaced again to being sluggish to start. mine is not that severe so doesnt really bother me i can live with it.

Similarly, I had problems starting; always starts second time (or first with a blip on the throttle). Like Noby76, I filled up with higher octane fuel and it started first time every time. Now I'm back on standard Total fuel, starting problems are instantly back. I wanted to fill up on high octane at the petrol station again last time, but there were no pumps available with it. I'm sure this isn't in my head, either; with higher octane fuels, I get about 400 miles to a full tank, 350-360 on lower octane. I thought I had a dodgy coilpack, as the engine sounds like it is slightly missing, occasionally.

About the starting problem: It's been many posts bout this but no one really come up with the solution, but I have read many posts on this and other , maybe sumthing to do ecu and it need a remap or sumthing and it a dealer job. But it's could come bk and happen again!

It looks like it was unhappy about the the fuel after all!

At the weekend, I put some (more) Tesco Momentum 99 octane fuel in it, hoovered out the air filter a bit (new one now fitted, but couldn't get one at the time!) and also took one of the spark plugs out to check (they are the Denso SK20R ones and look a bit dark but not too bad...).

Since that, the car has been fine all week. I must have started it 20 times + without any issue. All I can assume that it was the lower octane fuel that was causing the issue. Either that or I have a car that fixes itself (maybe it was feeling sorry for me after all I have spent on it so far?!). Only other idea is that maybe the ECU has reset and adjusted to the higher octane fuel after I fitted the new Battery the week before last (it was still tricky to start just after I had fitted it though...)?

Cheers for your suggestions and assistance everyone. I will let you know if the problem resurfaces... :)

I bought this IS 200 2003 only a week ago and this morning I had similar issue. Problem starting in the morning but also, while I was driving to work engine turned off couple of times and struggled to start again. Luckily, I had to drive for 5 minutes only so didn't cause me much trouble. I am also going to use the high octane fuel to see if that makes any difference.

Any one would like to tell why engine turned off while driving? Could it be that I didn't warm up engine properly? Because I was getting late to work so just started, waited for less than 2 minutes and drove off. Or I have to prepare myself for some big surprise?

I bought this IS 200 2003 only a week ago and this morning I had similar issue. Problem starting in the morning but also, while I was driving to work engine turned off couple of times and struggled to start again. Luckily, I had to drive for 5 minutes only so didn't cause me much trouble. I am also going to use the high octane fuel to see if that makes any difference.

Any one would like to tell why engine turned off while driving? Could it be that I didn't warm up engine properly? Because I was getting late to work so just started, waited for less than 2 minutes and drove off. Or I have to prepare myself for some big surprise?

Sorry to hear you are having issues too...

Mine is better than it was, but still not quite 100% right when it has been left for a few hours.

I try turning the key so all the lights are on for a few seconds and putting foot on the gas whilst starting, as that seems to help it. Once started, mine drives fine and does not cut out on me. Yours does sound more like a fuelling issue to me. Could maybe be the alternator/battery if you are noticing any electrical issues?

Cheers.

I don't see any electrical issues but while I parked the car whole day today it didn't cause any issues whole day. It happened only this morning while there was trouble starting and also stalled couple of times soon after that.

I will observe again this morning, if it is Battery it should not turn off the engine while driving? But as you said it could be fuel not getting to the engine?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links