Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Drive Shaft Loose?

GORDON WILSON

I could really do with some of your expert advise if you could help me out, I've had a grinding noise coming from the off side rear for about a year now, and I'm not being idle by just ignoring it I have had it into 5 or so separate garages to try and locate the fault including Lexus derby (I won't tell you their diagnosis but probably the least helpful of them all)

Anyway its a metal on metal rubbing noise that only occurs when turning left or any weight is put on that corner its gradually got worse over the year and is getting embarrassing when driving around town you can hear me coming a mile off, I've had all the checks done brakes suspension the lot all ok, but my most recent diagnosis was the drive shaft, basically the garage said they had it on the ramps the drive shaft on the near side was tight however on the off side there was some slight movement which may be causing the grinding/ rubbing noise, but everything looked fine and well bolted and perfectly safe to drive "so bare with it until something goes wrong" they can't be a 100% it is the shaft so they didn't want to replace it on a whim,

I didn't think it would be so difficult for the garages to diagnose a fault such as this but I guess it's one of those mechanical mysteries, but does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this, does it sound like a drive shaft? Is it safe? Should I just get it replaced to stop me going insane, I'm a bit anal about my IS I look after it well and want everything to work as it should do, and too have this hanging over me for so long has turned into nightmare any advise you could help with would be great

Thanks again

Gordon

Maybe the back metal plate that cause the grinding sound. Look underneath the black plate n gave it a little push or take off the wheel to see better which part cause the grinding sound

Not 100% sure but it worth the try

Hi Pete shawn,

Thanks for your response really appreciate the input mate, unfortunately the backing plate was one of the first things checked and its not that, I forgot to mention on my first post that I have shaking coming through the steering, despite only just have all four wheels aligned and balanced, as well as front discs and pads,

Does it sound like it could be the drive shaft?

Cheers

Gordon

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links