Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lost/broken 2 Master Keys, Only Have Sub Key

ianm2012

Hi,

On a recent trip to an adventure park with the kids i have lost the only master key i had, my missus binned the first when the key snapped not realising that the electornic bit should of been kept.

My car is a 2002 so understand the ECU can be remapped/modified to program some new master keys which is fine and Lexus Guildford can supply a new cut master key for £100 plus VAT but cannot program and said i would need to seek an autolocksmith with knowledge in this area but obviously cannot recommend this type of job.

To keep the cost down i can buy a new uncut genuine lexus key with transponder for £50 and can cut for £5 althogh only have the grey sub key. I understand the master keys have a raised line down each egde of the key but can anyone confirm if there is any other physical differnces between the master and sub key? Are the longer? Lexus menioned the ends of the key are different but was'nt sure?

If no i can get a key cheaper and then pay an autoelectrcian to recode te ECU with the new master keys.

Master keys normally open all doors, boot,glove box,fuel flap and work the ignition lock, sub keys will not open the boot,glovebox or fuel filler lock.

The sub keys is also refered to as a "Valet Key" which is not really applicable in the UK (maybe airport valet parking) but more so in the USA where you want the guy to park your car but not have access to the boot etc.

As you rightly say you need a master key to program other replacement keys be they master or valet.

What Lexus may mean is there are two different lenghts of key blade used across the range so you will need to get the correct type for your car.

Thanks Steve,

I have seen several posts on here with people showing pictures of the 3 keys - 2 master and 1 sub (valet) key and they all look the same length? although the Valet as I mentioned above does not have the raised line down each side.

The 2 black masters i used to have had 3 buttons and the grey valet key only 2 buttons, obviously cant compare the blade length. I was on the understanding that it was these raisd edges that allowed boot and glove box access and not length?

• 2 weeks later...

My blade length is 37mm on eBay the length of blade will be specified just dont go to the dealers as there are plenty of experts on here mate , but im not one sorry. Ive had 1 key since i had my car nearly 6 years ago , just get a 3 button uncut blade as a spare there are locksmiths who do code it but there are 2 types of transponder if my memory is right

Thanks for the replies but i have had some good news - 1 month after losing my keys in the adventure park, i had a phone call and they have been found and this week i received in the post and all working so i quickly reprogrammed aspare transponder and got a new key cut so now have the full set again.

During my time without them and only with the Grey Valet (Sub Key) i was concidering my options and thought they may be of use to some other people that get in my predicament and dont want to spend the £150 on a auto locksmith to reprogram he ECU.

Firstly i have to state that from what i see comparing the Grey and Black keys physcially is that they are identical exclusing the raised line down each side of the black master key. I asked the local key cutters and they said that they would be able to cut a new master key from the grey (valet key) so that would solve 1 issue. Its also worth noting if like my 2002 IS200 that both black master keys have 3 buttons but the grey valet key only has 2 (mssing the boot). If you actually take the key apart as if you are changing the Battery the 3rd button is present but missing the raised button part and when pressed hard does open the boot so that brings me to the other options you have. So you can get a new master key cut as above and then take the grey key to a local key cutters and see if they offer the transponder cloning like mine did. I was quoted £25 for this service which is a lot cheaper than getting the ECU reprogrammed. Yes you will have effectively 2 valet keys and no master but the new key cut will work all doors and the transponder turn off the immobiliers and open all doors so who cares about having a proper master key? Checlk with you key cutters on this and how it works before agreeing as i never used in the end but was concidering.

For people with a master key and need a second, just pop onto the well known auction site get youself a second hand transponder for approx £25, a new 35mm balnk key for approx £5 with cutting an additonal £5 and then use the instructions found on here for self programming. It took me about 5 attempts to get the process right so overall about 10 mins and i was done. You must have a master key for this and it will not work with the Grey sub (valet) key. To know if your is a master, stick the key in he ignition and if the security light stays on for a few seconds rather than straight away then that ket is a sub (valet) key and cant be self programmed from.

Good luck and thanks to all

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links