Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Had A Little Problem Today

Went for my usual Saturday morning snooker practice today (getting ready for the televised sessions of the UK Championships dontchaknow!!! watch out Ronnie i'm gunning for ya!) Anyway, on to more serious matters, went to my car, tried to get in using the usual smart entry (key in my pocket) and absolutely nothing, then tried the remote, still nothing, just could not open the doors.

For some reason I then tried to open the boot and blow me, that worked. I then found that I could open the drivers door. Jumped in and tried to start it, but nothing happened. Thinking that the Battery in the the remote was dead, I phoned the wife and asked her to bring me the spare key, tried that but still nothing. It wouldn't lock the car and it wouldn't start it either.

Next move was to phone Lexus Roadside Recovery. They came out and the guy tried various things but no joy. He connected his truck up to my Battery to see if that would help, but once again, nothing.

Then all of a sudden he got it going, when I asked him what he had done he said that he had held the button in on the remote and kept pressing the starter button and away it went. He connected some electronic wizardry to the car but this did not show any DTC's I think he said but, the screen on the dash said 'Check VSC' and the 'ABS' light remained on. He then said that his electronic box said there was a problem but could not identify it and nor could it delete it. The guy said that I should get it to the dealer and have it looked at. I asked him if he would take it but he said not. I asked him what would happen if I switched the ignition off and he said he didn't know and he wouldn't like to chance it either!

I then drove the 4 miles home with the 'Check VSC' error showing and the car drove perfectly. When I was safely on the drive, I turned off the ignition and then tried to start it again, everything was fine, it started first time, the screen said something like 'Check Completed' and there was no sign of the 'Check VSC' error.

I will ring the dealer first thing on Monday to see what they have to say.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

Take it to the dealer and they will be able to recover the error codes from the ecu to give a better indication of what happened. In case this happens again try to hold your fob close to the start engine button to start the car.

Take it to the dealer and they will be able to recover the error codes from the ecu to give a better indication of what happened. In case this happens again try to hold your fob close to the start engine button to start the car.

Thanks Exdee, I will try to get the car in to the dealer tomorrow. I have just been out to start the car and everything is fine, no error messages or anything. Unlocking and locking the car was quite normal too, very strange.

Have you, or anyone, had cause to use the manual key at any time? I tried yesterday and again just now but couldn't make any progress with it. I can't seem to insert it far enough to enable the removal of the cover, is there a bit of a knack to using it?

These video demonstrations might help. I remember using the key to unlock the car when I first got it just for the sake of learning it and it was pretty straight forward.

Just a small thing, the guy in the second video says it 'charges your Battery enough to start the car'. That is not true. This method of starting the car has nothing to do with your key fobs Battery. You can start the car this way with the Battery removed from the fob too.

Did you have your key fob near any other fobs or electronic devices at any time after you got to he snooker room?

I have heard of occasions when this has caused a problem.

No, I am always very careful at all times to keep my phone/credit cards etc in a different pocket to where I keep my car key.

These video demonstrations might help. I remember using the key to unlock the car when I first got it just for the sake of learning it and it was pretty straight forward.

Just a small thing, the guy in the second video says it 'charges your battery enough to start the car'. That is not true. This method of starting the car has nothing to do with your key fobs battery. You can start the car this way with the battery removed from the fob too.

Thanks for this Exdee, have watched the video and the chaps key seems to go well into the slot when removing the cover. i can't get mine even half way in (no saucey comments please I'm British!)

There is one place in Crosby I can go to and repeat this every time... but only if I park facing east. It is a small cul-de-sac and everyoone knows everyone else so we tried turning off routers, etc. but nothing changed. It's almost like a radio blackspot.

As Shepard says, the key uses passive rfid when it is actually up to/touching the start button, transmiting only its encryption key regardless of its Battery power and most external factors (especially if touching)

When it is away from the start-button, it is semi-active. What happens is the Lex is continually transmitting. When the keyfob receives the signal, it will negotiate with the car. When you press a button or touch the handle, it then transmits the open signal and the car dutifully responds as it knows the key is legit. When there is interferrence around, the negotiation is slightly off so gives a no response. Bear in mind that this isn't a single negotiation - this is happening hundreds of times a second once they start talking. It only allows a certain amount of failures then will not allow the key to talk to it. (Which is why you can't open it from outside at all unless you physically put the key in). The whole process then resets and retries.

I'm not sure why you got the check VSC as well though as I've not had that in relation to key negotiation failure.

Hi Geoffers, That's an interesting reply you have given, for which many thanks. I have spoken to Lexus Exeter about the problem and they have assured me that there is nothing wrong with the car. They also went on to say that one of their staff lives a few miles from me down alongside the marina and, he cannot park his car outside of his house because he can never get it started if he does. He always has to park some little way down the road and then he has no problems whatsoever. He and his neghbours have tried to get to the bottom of this unusual problem but without any luck.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links