Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New Car Or Should I Wait

wicked677

When is the new IS launched as I know a few spy shots have been taken recently. The only reason I ask is because I am looking at buying a brand new car. I have taken to the IS-F Sport and also a BMW 3 series. I am afraid that the lexus will devalue quite a bit when the new shape is launched. Should I hang on a while?

I would recommend that you wait for the new IS. Both the current three series and IS have been around since 2005. If you are going to spend that kind of money go for something new.

Have you considered the GS450h?

what are you waiting for Andy? if its the IS-F or BMW you want and currently have the funds for it just get it... yes when a new model of any car is released the current models do drop in prices but not much i.e. we are not talking about a 20K drop in price when say a new ISF is released by Lexus tomorrow. all cars be it luxury or non luxury devalue as the years go by some do devalue more than others but they all do either way. LS430 back in 2001 was around 70K before you can drive one and can now be picked up for around £4-£5000 after 11 years. C63 AMG Merc was 70K in 2008 and after 4 years they can be picked up for around £25000 so regardles of what you drive your car will certainly devalue. just go for what you like if you can afford it today.. I would.

I feel that when the new IS is launched I will be a little disappointed as it will obviously have all of the latest gadgets. I am just not sure if it's worth the wait, whenever the launch may be.

This was the BMW I had driven for 24hrs, it's got a good 5 years left in it before a new shape is launched at least. I just wonder if 28k for an IS F Sport will drop by so much when a new shape is launched.

Am really looking forward to see the IS tomorrow... but there is just something in the back of my mind telling me no. 32k for a GS, I think it's a bit steep, if however, unlike BMW they don't have pages full of extras and everything is bundled for 32k I may consider... will see what they say.

Appreciate the comments, I guess it's more thinking of live for the day and not tomorrow...

11ece939-291f-11e2-840c-bf6a16cfd25f.jpg

I know what you mean about being dissapointed when a new model comes out with all the newer '007' gadgets but will boil down to how long you looking to keep the car for.. gadgets are exciting to have but will wear off after like six months of owning the car ounce you have experienced it and most import will be how the car drives, makes you feel and how easy(reliable) it is to live with and if economy is top of your list aswell, will also be how economical it is...that BM looks nice Andy..and every one knows they can handle really good on the limit when pushed hard but the gen2 IS has caught up in that department but still lacks a lil bit..I will say drive the IS aswell for 24 hours and compare what you get for your £££ when you go for IS and what you get when you go for the BM.. and go for which ever gives you more for your buck..would also be worth asking Lexus what kind of gadgets the newer IS would have but my guess will be it would come with the same gadgets as the top line 2012 GS250 F sport so i doubt it would have anything newer than whats already in the GS250/GS450h F-sport. choice is yours really..

NICE... :winky: !! the newer IS looks bloated compared to gen1 IS but with over 200bhp dual exhaust, sport body kit, xenons, sport suspension which handles top class, why not?? bet you cant wait!!

Going to make an offer tomorrow morning, on my terms only though :D They are asking for a 6k deposit which is extremely expensive, considering it's 30% of the value of the car. The brochure says "low deposit", compared to BMW who want only 11% deposit, mercedes also 10%. He wanted a sale there and then, so he is keen to sell it, I know he will reject my lowball offer. But it's part of the game right, fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Oh yeah, and he wants to offer me 1k for my Lexus, which I laughed at there and then. Considering whatcar & parkers say it's worth at least 2.2k part ex, I know someone on here would pay about 2.5k as they will know it's been well looked after.

Maybe you could haggle over the price by mentioning the IS 250F-Sports at Lexus Leicester and Sheffield.

April 2011 3K miles £19995

June 2011 12K miles £16950.

Both lower miles than the example you are looking at, 1 registered at same time and 1 2 months older and both at Franchised dealerships.

Hi Dave,

He was a very pushy salesman and only offered me 1k for my car which I told him was an insult. I have offered him 18k with mine at 2.2k as part ex. I am not desperate and just browsing really...

Do you have a link to the two above cars? I cannot find them...

Of course he's only going to offer you £1k for your IS - he's going to want to sell it for around £2500 (which is high money for ~10 year old IS200), so it's not worth him paying you £2200 to only make £300 profit on it (when you factor in all the other costs, such as valeting, an inspection, plus anything that needs to be changed, as main dealers will invariably put them through a mini-service, so as to meet the "used approved" criteria). Much more realistic to think of spending £1k on the car, plus the on top costs, then sell on for a "bargain" price of £2000-£2200, and make much more substantial profit percentage. You'd be lucky to get an independent or used car dealer to give you £2200.

As for worrying about the drop in price when a new model is launched - if you're set to go for the 2nd gen IS-F, why not wait till the new one is launched, then pay less for the IS-F, which will have dropped in price? if you're worried that the launch of a new IS will substantially drop the value of your 1st gen IS, I wouldn't be. When they get to the age our cars are at, which model is current and how many back ours are isn't the defining point to their value. Age is.

Personally, I'd go for the beemer, but that's just me.

Possibly, but it's highly likely the car will go to auction, so will not have any of the costs to the dealer. I am going on what the whatcar guide is saying, which of course dealers hate. But at the end of the day, what else do we have to go by right? I have already been offered 1650 by mercedes and they didn't even have a look at it to see if it even runs. So with a little work I am confident it will get a part-ex of 2k minimum.

It's a buyers market, so am not bothered if he doesn't accept. Still looking at a BMW, getting a quote soon on the spec I need as they seem to come with nothing as standard. It's so draining buying a car, might give it a rest for a while and see if they chase me.

Appreciate the comments, thx

Hi Dave,

He was a very pushy salesman and only offered me 1k for my car which I told him was an insult. I have offered him 18k with mine at 2.2k as part ex. I am not desperate and just browsing really...

Hi Dave,

I went to www.lexus.co.uk, clicked on approved used cars, clicked IS models, adjusted price to £25k max and looked for IS 250 F Sport models.

Your car will, as you say, not be sold via Lexus forecourt but probably to a non-franchise outlet for roughly what they pay you or possibly auction. Since the IS is no longer being made there are bargains to be had since dealers want to shift them prior to the new model (which includes a hybrid) being launched in UK. I would probably hold on for a better deal because even when the new model is launched you will find newish F Sports around when owners "upgrade" to the new model.

As matt says, your car will still be worth the same next year.

Looked into those cars further, It's a shame they don't have the nav system, or the other goodies.

I am going to sign for the Beemer this Saturday, unless I hear back from the guy at Lexus with the lowest price he is willing to let the car go for. Lovely motor, shame the dealer won't budge.

Appreciate your comments and opinions as always.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah have had a go in one, little on the large size. I don't think I would park it very well at works tight underground carpark. I held off the 3-series, as noticed for an extra few g's can get a 5-series, test driving again tomorrow...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links