Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hey guys,

I'm selling my rx soon and am looking for a change.

I have a few q's and was hoping somebody could help me out.

Do all models offer aux?

Do all models have the coloured speedometer?

Biggest thing to look out for.

Thanks very much!

Do all models offer aux?

Yes, a USB port is also standard from the 2009 Model year

Do all models have the coloured speedometer?

Yes, well its white with a blue backlit shadow and you can set a speed limit warning which glows as an orange then red ring within the speedo

Biggest thing to look out for.

The IS220d :eerrrmm:

If you really set on an is220d then so be it...but please please go into it with your eyes wide open and be aware of the potential problems that can arise.

Read as many posts here as you can relating to the 220d.

Yes, you can achieve pretty good mpg rates. The Head Gasket issues and quirky gearbox functioning and ratios are always lingering at the front of your thoughts though. At least, thats where I was during my ownership of a 220d. On long journeys it was in all fairness very comfortable and a nice drive and not the least bit noisy (just keep away from 6th gear). The turbo when required would give very quick acceleration. I had my Head Gasket go at 106,000. I was lucky..... Lexus footed the bill on their own extension of engine warranty. I had been facing a bill of £6000+. Having now heard of replacement engine blowing too....that is extremely concerning. I dont know what the circumstances were of these replacement engine head gaskets blowing. Suffice to say, and this is only my opinion, I think you need to be doing quite large mileages to get the engine good and hot. This should help keep the EGR in better fettle, get the 5th injector working properly and allow the Dcat to not get clogged up. Also, learn how to remove and clean the EGR too..its quite easy.

If you get one I would give serious thought to getting an extended warranty on that engine.

I now have a V6 petrol 250. I get 27-30mpg around town and close to 40mpg on a run. Admittedly I am doing around 64mph with cruise control on thye longer runs. Push her up to 70 and it gives around 36mpg.

[ Doing 72-74mph in 5th (again using cruise control) i could get 52-54mpg in the 220D i used to own. Around town in the 220 I could get 39mpg. Maybe I was lucky.. I honestly don't know but I see lots of folk on here quoting figures of 32-40mpg being the best they can get from the 220d]

• 4 months later...

Well - I have an is220d se-l 08. I love it and indeed have got the extended warranty. I drive it for about 1.5 hours a day and sometimes at over 100 so that should keep it ok. It just sways a fair bit on corners...

Hi,

Another newbie diving in with a "to buy (or not to buy)" question!

I'm hoping to pick up a 2009 or later plate (148g/km) 220D within the next couple of months and my budget probably means a higher miler. Noting the comment in a number of threads about the need to run engines hot and keep them clean, I'm wondering what the recommended trip time is to achieve this. My daily commute is about 25 miles each way on A roads (single and dual carriageway) and motorway (about a 50:50 split on distance). There's not an awful lot of standing traffic on the route but I'm wondering if this daily useage isn't going to be enough to keep the engine and associated tubes clean. Am I needing to have a regular (ie once a week) hig speed burn for half an hour to keep things healthy? Any advice would be gratefully received!

50 miles a day is a good enough I would say.

I'd still say give it a wicking for 20 mins every 3 months or so to help the DPF regeneration.

Personally, I'd consider using BG244 additive occasionally, every 8000 miles or so. Also the AR6200 additive with each fill up...its only pence.

Also learn how to clean the EGR yourself....its easy.

I had a 220d myself.

Thanks Normski!

Now I just need to consider the chances and mitigation of a head gasket problem, given the high mileage budget I have. Having read your recommendations about an extended warranty with Lexus (once I get over 110k miles), would other warranty companies exclude this type of cover?

Why not ask Lexus if the car you are looking at has the modified head/engine already?

I think if it is a 200d it should do. You can get an extended warranty from Lexus themselves or an independent. Maybe someone like Warranty Direct ( Quentin Wilson's outfit). Just read the small print carefully.

Whilst back on the subject of the is220, I have been driving the company skoda diesel for the last five days and too be honest, it's awful. Terrible seats, no cruise and my heal aches after about 20 minutes of driving.

Got back into my Lexus is220 today and could really appreciate the difference in comfort and power.

Despite some of its negative points, its still a lovely diesel and I genuinely enjoy driving it.

Sometimes a little absence makes the heart grow fonder, plus my wife seems to grab the is250 most days-lol.

Sorry , if I slightly hijacked this thread.

Carl

i'm in herefordshire mate - you on the m50 or m5 by any chance??

Not sure who you are referring to but I work in Ross-on-wye so travel the a-roads between Gloucester and Ross each day with either of my Is.

Carl

Back to my query on the HG, I've spent amny hours reading around the issue on the forums here (very informative) and have concluded the following:

1. After 110k miles I'm on my own unless I by a third party warranty (the Lexus website seemed to preclude an extended warranty on 100k+ miles). Warranty Direct appears to start at £400 for 110k but stops at 130k. Presumably at 130k+ you have no warranty options.

2. HG failure on a 2009 220d engine is not guaranteed but higher mileage cars of this age will increase the risk (and cost to sort due to end of Lexus 110k warranty period) - will this keep me awake at night??

3. I should spend more/lower my spec and buy a lower mileage 220d and think about trading in before hitting the 110k warranty limit or go for the 250 if the running cost comparison (inc the 220d warranty cost) be reasonable or go back to the drawing board!

(As per Normski's advice I will check that the cars of interest have had the engine modification made or not).

Does any/all of the above seem reasonable or am I now just wracked with paranoia??

Many thanks for your advice thus far!

Personally my car had the work done just before i bought it and I am satisfied that it should be reliable here on in providing its not abused. Only time will tell of course but I don't dwell on these things.

I have repaired many blown head gaskets over the years and if worse come to worse id do the spanner work myself. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of good non Lexus garages who could repair these engines at a fraction of what Lexus charge. I think a lot of Lexus high charge is due to them replacing parts rather than reparing them. I often feel they are little more than glorified fitters than good mechanics.

You could pick up a second hand engine for little more than 1k.

You go into this with your eyes wide open. I'd agree that it's best to buy a car that has had the work done to reduce the chance of it happening to you. Look for good maintenance and regular servicing and just enjoy.

Carl

Thanks Carl!

I have a100k option in my sights now that has a full Lexus service history - in fact I understand that the one previous owner was Lexus itself (the car presumably used as a demo/pool/courtesy car) - odd though that its not within the used franchised network anymore. Anyway, I'm going to try Lexus directly to see if they are able to let me know about the work done (presuming that they can search their database) prior to contacting the vendors and asking about service receipts, etc.

One final question before I leave you guys alone (thanks for all the feedback so far - it's been really helpful!!), given the EG issue and the generous (but nonetheless limited) 7 year, 110k engine warranty, will anyone want to take on a 2008/9/10 plate 220d three years down the line (potential trade-in/sale time for me) - I'm just thinking on the residual value/ease of sale of a £8-£10k purchase three years down the line.

I still feel a bit uncertain about taking the plunge particularly as everything else about the 220d (6th gear and maintaining the EGR aside) seems to be perfect. The EG issue seems to be a real flaw within the diamond.

Simon

• Like 1

Thanks Carl!

I have a100k option in my sights now that has a full Lexus service history - in fact I understand that the one previous owner was Lexus itself (the car presumably used as a demo/pool/courtesy car) - odd though that its not within the used franchised network anymore. Anyway, I'm going to try Lexus directly to see if they are able to let me know about the work done (presuming that they can search their database) prior to contacting the vendors and asking about service receipts, etc.

One final question before I leave you guys alone (thanks for all the feedback so far - it's been really helpful!!), given the EG issue and the generous (but nonetheless limited) 7 year, 110k engine warranty, will anyone want to take on a 2008/9/10 plate 220d three years down the line (potential trade-in/sale time for me) - I'm just thinking on the residual value/ease of sale of a £8-£10k purchase three years down the line.

I still feel a bit uncertain about taking the plunge particularly as everything else about the 220d (6th gear and maintaining the EGR aside) seems to be perfect. The EG issue seems to be a real flaw within the diamond.

Simon

Unless potential buyers come on forums like this most will be blissfully ignorant to any such issues.

It is most likely not going to have a direct effect on residual value although like any brand, particularly luxury brands it will depreciate more than you would like.

I payed £9,000 for my is220d 2006 plate with 49,000 on the clock just over two years ago. It's an SE model and if I sold it tody I'd probably scrape £6-7,000 at best. Is that good or bad depends on your point of view. I lost £1,500 in 3 months on a BMW 330d and they are supposed to be very good sellers.

I don't think the Lexus is any worse than any other luxury brand when it comes to depreciation and the Lexus brand still holds a good name for reliability which in secondhand older cars is desirable.

Carl

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links