Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx 400H Steel Rims Or Cheap Alloys For Winter Tyres

Hi all!

Kept meaning to do this earlier, but as always and now it is snowing outside I better get it done!

Am looking for some lexus rx 400h wheels and was wondering where would the best place to get them?

• What other lexus models have the same nut spacing?
  • What's the best diameter for value? Can I go as low as 16" (the factory wheels are 18) and will it even make financial sense or are the wheels and tyres the same price roughly across all diameters?
  • Would it make more sense to get narrower tyres to cut throught he snow?

I don't want to just replace my summer tyres, I want to have a compolete wheel set so I can just store them in the garage and change them myself when required.

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

I bought these alloys from an IS and moved from the standard 18", to 17" but with higher and narrower tire - in the case of RX400h - it is 225/65/17.

The 17" tires are cheaper than the 18", so for the same money i have two sets of wheels insted of just two sets of tires, which i have to replace every 6 months.

But we have a real winter - Ice and snow and -20/-25 degrees C.

Here's a pic of one of my winter wheels

i5y17.png

^ That's the best way to do it. 2nd set of rims with dedicated tyres on, then it's as simple as half an hour jacking up to change the wheels when you need to. Plus you only have to pay out tyre fitting costs once!

I agree, this is the best approach. When I lived in Germany, most people had winter tyres on steel wheels, which brings the cost down. Furthermore, you don't have to worry so much about corrosion or kerbing. Cost does not have to be an issue if you consider that since you will be using two sets of tyres over the same period of time... they should last longer.

With regards to wheel size, I do ot think it matters much as long as the overall diameter of the wheel + tyre remains the same. Not sure about the impact of width on road holding, going around corners etc.

The idea of narrow tires is they work better on snow (dig deeper). Also not to forget that the storage of the tires is best when inflated. Finally i think the RX will not look good with steel rims - not so many second hand off RX, but plenty from other makes/models on eBay.

I agree with regards to the looks. It is not so bad in a country where a large percentage of the population switches to steel rims in the winter... you don't stand out so much...

I agree, this is the best approach. When I lived in Germany, most people had winter tyres on steel wheels, which brings the cost down. Furthermore, you don't have to worry so much about corrosion or kerbing. Cost does not have to be an issue if you consider that since you will be using two sets of tyres over the same period of time... they should last longer.

With regards to wheel size, I do ot think it matters much as long as the overall diameter of the wheel + tyre remains the same. Not sure about the impact of width on road holding, going around corners etc.

Your insurance company may well have a view on non-standard wheels - this is notifiable if you do not want to run the risk of repudiation should you make a claim..

One thing you must look out for if your thinking of going to a smaller size wheel and higher profile tyres is the clearance between the inside wheel diameter and the brake mechanism, some vehicles are already runnig with quite small clearances.

And do check with your insurance company, although it would be a dumb company which penalized you for having a safer car in the winter!

One thing you must look out for if your thinking of going to a smaller size wheel and higher profile tyres is the clearance between the inside wheel diameter and the brake mechanism, some vehicles are already runnig with quite small clearances.

And do check with your insurance company, although it would be a dumb company which penalized you for having a safer car in the winter!

Yes, you have to check the rim against the break mechanism - in my case it close, but still enough space. The new size of the tires is described in the owners book as an alternative and i'm very happy to inform you that we don't have to inform the insurance companies regarding things like that.

Whilst that may be one thought, the little boys and girls at call-centres tend to work from a script and that will say, alteration, that will be £? extra without regard to such niceties. They could even take the perverse view that some motorists be become too confident and take chances that they might otherwise not have done!

I bought these alloys from an IS and moved from the standard 18", to 17" but with higher and narrower tire - in the case of RX400h - it is 225/65/17.

The 17" tires are cheaper than the 18", so for the same money i have two sets of wheels insted of just two sets of tires, which i have to replace every 6 months.

i5y17.png

Thanks! so just to be sure:

these are IS200 alloys with 225/65/17 tyres on your lexus RX400h and such combination is even prescribed as an alternative in the owner's manual and therefore I could probably not even bother notifying them?

i5y17.png

these are IS200 alloys with 225/65/17 tyres on your lexus RX400h and such combination is even prescribed as an alternative in the owner's manual and therefore I could probably not even bother notifying them?

Yes, these are IS200 alloys, and here are some shots from my owner's manual:

yi7is.png

TVKdv.png

z9oyF.png

Technically, you'd still have to tell your insurance, as the wheels aren't the standard wheels your RX came with. However, it's not really a "modification" as it would be switching from standard 16's to more desirable 19's, so it's your judgement call

i5y17.png

Yes, these are IS200 alloys, and here are some shots from my owner's manual:

yi7is.png

TVKdv.png

z9oyF.png

Wow that is way beyond the call of duty!

You Sir, are a legend!

Bought a set of IS200 wheels on ebay for £80 that's the price of one tyre, or even less!

It's a no-brainer :)

So whats the offset of the is200 wheels, I thought the RX offset was pretty unique to the RX within the Lexus range......

Had the same concerns - so i've tried the alloys before the purchase. If there is a problem you can always adjust the offset with spacers, like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-5mm-Wheel-Spacer-Shims-4-5-Stud-Spacer-x2-/190708002342?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item2c67152e26

Had the same concerns - so i've tried the alloys before the purchase. If there is a problem you can always adjust the offset with spacers, like these: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c67152e26

You can only adjust it one way, that is why I wondered what the offset was..........

Hi

I was thinking along the lines of a separate set of alloys, but was concerned to get a set of genuine Lexus RX 18x7JJ rims but had no luck so far.

For the present I've settled on fitting 235/55/18 Michelin Latitude Alpins which I sourced for £590.76 delivered from Camskill and had them fitted cheaply locally.

Local tyre company quoted me £259 a corner fitted.

Will still look out for a set of rims but happy to pay £10 a corner in the meantime

John

• 2 weeks later...

Important update:

Having found some 17inch IS200 rims and purchased some winter tyres at £93 a corner from a frinedly local dealer, I found out that the rear tyres are rubbing on the shock absorbers!

This prompted me to check my own car owner's manual and it had no 17" rims mentioned at all!

So I just ordered some 17" wheel spacers off eBay as I am already commited to the tune of £500. Will have to bite the bullet as far as the insurance is concered.

A really unexpected and sad outcome, but oh well.

Just a warning really, don't be lazy and double check your own owner's manual before splashing out half a grand on a pretty optional upgrade :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links