Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is200 Starting Issue

Saamis200

Ive now had my is200 a week however its starting to get a bit of an issue when starting, when you start the car from cold the engine struggles to fire up and sometimes I have to try 2 or 3 times before it actually starts. Ive had the Battery and spark plugs changed and had it plugged into a diagnostic computer which showed no faults so im really stuck on what this could be. The automatic headlamps have also since stopped working by themselves recently so whether this could be related is something I cant work out. Any experience with this issue or help would be great

Thanks

do you mean struggle to start as in wind over not firing at all?

How does it sound when it starts up after struggling?

How long do you crank it for eg 5secs,20secs?

Does it do anything at all try to fire while cranking but not start?

does it cough splutter missfire when running,

when it turns over is it turning fast as normal?

SPARKPLUGS are they genuine DENSO or NGK??? as all sorts of issues if plugs are not to std????

CC

struggle as in around 10 seconds before it actually fires up but soemtimes it just winds over and needs to be attempted up to 2 times more before it actually fires up.

once it starts after struggle it normally fires up but sounds weak as if its reluctant to fire up but thats intermittent

after that the car runs and drives fine with no misfire ive noticed.

when it starts normal it seems to have a bit of delay before it fires but nothing too major

The sparkplugs are NGK platinum

There's your problem I reckon, as said irridium plugs are needed not platinum. Platinum is less conductive than irridium. Therefore platinum plugs yield less spark than irridium which would explain your car having trouble starting

I had this problem before when the vehicle had bosch spark plugs fitted by previous owner, once the issue started I changed the Battery and spark plugs to NGK laser platinum's and it seemed to work until the problem reoccurred today so I dont believe it would be the fault.

Platinum will work fine when brand new but the IS200 engine does not like anything else except irridium plugs. I fitted Bosch Platinum when I first bought the car. Everything was fine for about 1000 miles then it wouldn't start. I put Denso irridium in (OEM) and the car has been fine for over 8000 miles. Also platinum doesn't last as long as irridium so how long ago did you change them?

Bottom line is your using the wrong plugs and your experiencing starting problems. Put 2 and 2 together fella.... :whistling:

I've just re read your opening post. You've only had the car a week. Bosch plugs that you found in there when you bought the car were the wrong plugs but you've just gone and replaced them with another type of wrong plug!

And by the way don't fit Bosch irridium plugs. For some reason the car doesn't like Bosch plugs even if they are irridium. NGK or Denso irridium are what's needed.

struggle as in around 10 seconds before it actually fires up but soemtimes it just winds over and needs to be attempted up to 2 times more before it actually fires up.

once it starts after struggle it normally fires up but sounds weak as if its reluctant to fire up but thats intermittent

after that the car runs and drives fine with no misfire ive noticed.

when it starts normal it seems to have a bit of delay before it fires but nothing too major

Should be iridium as i posted question regarding plugs

plugs cause so many issues with these vehicles :whistling:

goes for toyota range in general

Although my old corolla AE86 run plats as part of its engine mods etc at the time (1990)due to heat range required for all to work :innocent:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links