Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Ugly Duckling

bash6673

How could they get it so wrong?

That is the question on the upcoming launch of the 2013 IS 3rd Generation in the UK.

By trying to move away from the styling and design of their main European competitor they have actually moved closer, rather turned full circle.

Every time I look at this car I refuse to believe that this is the same company/firm/design house that launched the BMW ars* kicking IS 200/300 series around the World less than a decade and a half ago......and then I see...disappointment, a need to copy,....."Audi has a large grill, we should do it too.", a need to emulate and out do the latest car on the road with the most outrageous location for their DRL's..."ah, we can go one further....get Nike on the phone."

This machine may be the finest mechanical platform out with the LF-A that Lexus have produce to date, but in the beauty stakes it will win few prizes,if any.

This car is on to a loser before it is even launched. It is ugly.

No amount of further testimony from Jay Leno or any other automotive journalist can save this car now the swirly stuff has been removed.

When I first saw the IS 250 at the back end of 2005 my immediate reaction was "good god,what have they done to a design classic?"

On the appearance of the 2013 3rd Gen...."what an absolute abomination,"

I would have used the word "disaster" however, bearing in mind what happened less than two years ago in Japan this is wholly inappropriate.

oj371k.jpg

I'm struggling to get my head around the fact that this is the same company who made the LF-A, the same company who previewed the LF-LC concept, two of the most aggressive and aesthetically pleasing cars ever to grace a podium, could ever conceive that this IS would be remotely attractive.

This car is doomed,doomed to spend it's life among the rep-mobiles,also-rans and nearly where's of the poor down trodden life of the sales rep.

The performance variant may pluck the interest of the Lexus enthusiast and heaven forbid they actually make an IS-F version of this carbuncle.

I wonder if the Chief Engineer of the 1st Gen, Nobuaki Katayama, had any part in the design of the 3rd Gen. If not it would be interesting to hear his reaction on how his masterpiece has evolved.

Back to the drawing board.

It depends on what you mean by downhill.

Toyota, under pressure from the "world is melting" diaspora, have reacted with a range of vehicles that can ensure Polar Bears in Svalbard will continue to have long and productive lives.

This has in some respects negated performance.

In this instance, 2013 IS, performance is not being scrutinised, the appearance is what is being brought in to question here.

I do agree the newer Lexus's are looking abit too 'German' and have lost that oriental design and touch to them! the Japanese have always been known not to design sexy cars but they were tough, rigid and packed some punch the Nobuaki Katyama designed 1st Gen IS i beleive will be a classic design mainly the back design with those clear lights..and look stunning in sport, TTE form aswell. dont get me wrong am all for new ideas and inovations when it comes to car designs but Lexus has gone a bit too Germanic off late must say i do love the front and side views tho not so much the rear. the interior with those LFA inspired dash yells 'SPORT' which i like but

nothing can still touch this 1994/95 design which got released in 99.

Classic

The rear isn't too bad. The front is feckin' hideous!

It looks like it's chomping on a lemon!

Raymond, I stated in another thread they didn't know when to stop when designing this car.

They took each and every curve,slip,bulge to the extreme so much so that they didn't realise enough was enough when it was before their eyes.

If they had took a look back to the subdued, attractive and appealing curves of the 1st Gen and took some sort of inspiration from that design then maybe we would be hailing a modern design classic. Instead Lexus have kept Mazda and Vauxhall in business for another few years to update their poor 6 and Insignia range respectively.

I do agree the newer Lexus's are looking abit too 'German' and have lost that oriental design and touch to them! the Japanese have always been known not to design sexy cars but they were tough, rigid and packed some punch the Nobuaki Katyama designed 1st Gen IS i beleive will be a classic design mainly the back design with those clear lights..and look stunning in sport, TTE form aswell. dont get me wrong am all for new ideas and inovations when it comes to car designs but Lexus has gone a bit too Germanic off late must say i do love the front and side views tho not so much the rear. the interior with those LFA inspired dash yells 'SPORT' which i like but

nothing can still touch this 1994/95 design which got released in 99.

Classic

Sometimes,just sometimes in this World you can never better the original.

In this case the defence rests.

+1 .... the only cars which have come out of Japan recently that i take I liking to due to thier oriental design and funkyness is the Toyota GT86 , Gen 2 Honda Civic Type R, Nissan GTR and Lexus LFA ..

Its not just the design but I read more & more of mechanical/electrical failures & the build quality whilst still good isn't a patch on what's gone before Is this correct?

I can't comment on the 3rd Gen. If you are referring to the 2nd Gen, then two factory recalls and numerous complaints about dash rattles and squeaks are common.

The outstanding factor of the 1st Gen IS and many owners will happily agree that the build quality of that car is bulletproof.

There are people driving 10 and 12 year old cars that perform as good as the day they were put on a boat from Japan,not a rattle,not a squeek.....nothing but assured performance.

For that alone Toyota/Lexus deserve all the praise in the World.

They put all of their effort in to making a 3 Series beater and now they have a captive audience they have taken their eye off the ball.

+1 .... the only cars which have come out of Japan recently that i take I liking to due to thier oriental design and funkyness is the Toyota GT86 , Gen 2 Honda Civic Type R, Nissan GTR and Lexus LFA ..

This is what really disappoints me. The Japanese auto houses can produce exceptional and exotic cars to make the World sit up and take notice,but when it comes down to economics the best tend to stay at home.

The arithmetic has been worked out and foreign V domestic sales seem to be foremost in their strategy.

I'm not talking about Derby,Swindon or Sunderland, rather the best they have, they would prefer to keep at home instead of offering their premium cars abroad and the shipping costs that entail.

This is what really disappoints me. The Japanese auto houses can produce exceptional and exotic cars to make the World sit up and take notice,but when it comes down to economics the best tend to stay at home.

The arithmetic has been worked out and foreign V domestic sales seem to be foremost in their strategy.

I'm not talking about Derby,Swindon or Sunderland, rather the best they have, they would prefer to keep at home instead of offering their premium cars abroad and the shipping costs that entail.

I would agree if it not for the fact that the UK is known as Treasure Island by the motor manufactures. We pay some of the highest prices in the World for their products & don't get anything like the choice others do. Also we no longer have our own motorshow which is disgraceful considering the prices we pay

I would agree if it not for the fact that the UK is known as Treasure Island by the motor manufactures. We pay some of the highest prices in the World for their products & don't get anything like the choice others do. Also we no longer have our own motorshow which is disgraceful considering the prices we pay

Japan,whose economy has flat bottomed for 20+ years with no sign of economic growth have decided to play it safe. They are happy to make cars in the UK knowing that they will get a positive return (cash back to Japan) for their investment based on the fact that their biggest sellers are all built here. Less export and import tariffs if they are made elsewhere=money in the bank.

Do you know where the No1 off-road vehicle in the World is built?

Why am I the only 1 that likes this car :(

Agree with what was said about not beating the original. I'm a little biast as I think the 1st gen IS is one of the best looking cars ever designed and I own one, but honestly, I thought that before I owned one.

Chris I said it previously,sometimes in life the original cannot be bettered.

Key less opening and start up,reverse cameras etc are all gimmicks.

Apart from a bigger engine the 2nd Gen was never an improvement on the 1st.

I drove a 220d for a day and I hated it. I couldn't wait to get back in my 03 Sport, to feel the road again, to feel like I was driving the car and not the other way around.

They need to get drivers help in designing these new cars or they are finished as a marque.

Ugly,Chris,

The car not you.

It is a god-damn ugly creature and I hope I never have the misfortune of ever seeing one in the cold light of day.

It is the Susan Boyle of Lexus cars, the one you want to hide away when friends and relatives visit.

It is ugly.

They need to get drivers help in designing these new cars or they are finished as a marque.

Lexus did that with the 1st Gen IS hence its so much fun to drive..Nobuaki Katayama the chief engineer was a 'driver' a racing driver to be exact and thanks to his input the Toyota AE86, Toyota Supra and Lexus IS200/300 are now iconic cars driven by enthusiasts and 'drivers'. these three cars do not drive themselves.. you have to drive the car and be awake to control it as well other wise you will loose the back end and thats what makes them fun to drive and thier designs were typical Jap design.

Well, I must admit that I love it and if I had the pennies I would probably buy one!

I imagine that there are quite a few more people out there who will feel the same as I do. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I happened to read an article today where one person slated another and said that they had bad fashion sense. The person who had so called bad fashion sense dresses to please themselves, not anyone else and, to others other than the slater, they probably look good.

What appeals to some, doesn't appeal to others. Good job really or this beautiful planet would be a dull old place.........wouldn't it?

funny the more i keep looking at the new IS from other angles the more i keep thinking it actually does have a nice clean design.. and you can tell everything from the front desing to the sides has been done to chanel air to the back of the car for downforce and rear grip..this thing looks like it will handle better than a BMW round the Nurburgring... i like it :) but Lexus please bring the IS350 for those of us who dont want the IS250 nor a hybrid either..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links