Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hello,

My Battery wasn't working too well, so I decided to buy a new one and fit it. The probllem being the Battery I bought was physically the right size and the website I got it off had it listed as recommended for my car. However I fitted it and nothing worked but the exterior lights came on. It wasn't until later that I realised that the polarity of the terminals were the wrong way around on the new Battery. A schoolboy error I know, for not checking polarity before I connected up Battery.

I called the supplier and they said that their website is wrong and it should have another Battery that I had been sent but this does not cure the problem I have now.

When I turned the Battery around and connecting the terminals on the correct pegs. The engine starts but a lot of the electrics don't work i.e. seat positioning, radio, AC, door locks, power steering.

Does anyone have a clue what it is that has broken down or an electrical schematic for the UK Lexus IS220 D??

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

You're not the 1st to do this or will yu be the last, for some strange reason the Battery terminals are reversed on most Japanese cars and as you say websites often show them wrong also.

I don't have a service manual for the 220d but like all other Lexus models there should be a 120A fuse in the engine bay fusebox and it is this that normally fails.

The bad news is these are not push in fuses but have to be unbolted from under the fuse box which means it has to be lifted up to gain access.

Don't forget to disconnect the Battery before attempting the job.

You may find other interior fusebox fuses have also failed but these are plug in so not so much of a problem.

Check as many fuses as you can find.

My son did the same on my old is200. That resulted in the main fuse being blown......killed everything stone dead. Surprised you have not had the same outcome. Maybe there is some form of circuit protection somewhere.

From what you describe it sounds like some fuses have popped, certainly hope so as that main fuse was a right toad to do.

Just had a look at the exploded diagram (sorry cannot post due to copyright) and it looks like there is a 30A fuse link in the 220d located in the large engine fuse/relay box. I appears to be surrounded by the normal type push in fuses.

As Normski2 says check them all but look at the one above first. You can normally see if the link is broken in the fuses but it is better to remove them one by one and check them.

There may be a fuse layout diagram in your owners manual and there are also details on the underside of the fusebox cover.

If the 30A fuse has blown come back with your model year and I'll give you the part number.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links