Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is 200 V Is 300

Hi I'm new so apologies if you are sick of answereing this question :wacko:

I am looking at buying a 2000/2002 IS 200 or IS 300

The IS200 tax is €710 and the IS300 is €1,494 a year. ( Ireland)

So are there big difference in them both...Obviously the CC is higer in the 300 but for an extra €700 a year road tax is it worth it??

Mick there is a difference of nearly 60 bhp ,is300 has bodykit hid lights, full leather interior and dont forget that supra engine . Ive got the is200 but i would buy the is300 now if i could , also theres not a great difference in mpg .

Big difference so!!

Is the 300 a turbo?? or just the basic supra 3 litre?

The bloody tax in this country is mind numbing :(

I'll be looking at an Auto, is there any issues with the auto box?

The is300 I am looking at doesnt have a body kit??

The 300 doesnt have a turbo, and only has boot spoiler as standard. The excellent auto box on the is300 is auto and manual with controls on steering wheel. Also has self dimming rear mirrors and armrest.

Apart from that all other extras can be found on an is200 sport, metal sill plates ect. but isn't available in auto.

go for the se auto and add other dress up bits as you can afford it.

I wouldn't say it's worth the increase in tax that you would be paying.

Hi I'm new so apologies if you are sick of answereing this question :wacko:

I am looking at buying a 2000/2002 IS 200 or IS 300

The IS200 tax is €710 and the IS300 is €1,494 a year. ( Ireland)

So are there big difference in them both...Obviously the CC is higer in the 300 but for an extra €700 a year road tax is it worth it??

Depends if that 60bhp the IS300 packs over the IS200 will be used on a daily basis or ocassionally. if you will use it then you certainly wont worry about the extra 700euros a year but if you wont be using the grunt and power is not a priority when looking at cars then save 700euros and get the IS200. if you put 'power' on top of your list then you already know which one of the two to go for.

I do a good bit of driving on motorway and primary roads.

My previous cars were a Volvo S80 2.0 T ( 5 cylinder) BMW 520 Auto (2.2 straight 6) and Saab 95 2.0 Turbo to name but a few.

I've always wanted an IS but always had the above and after electrical and
gearbox issues with all I'm sorry I didn't get an IS years back.

So I'm after something with the same level of comfort and styling as my previous cars, The IS is nice to drive and is very comfortable yet its not as big and bouncy as the above.

So that why I want one, regret not buying one years back :(

Now its just to decide if its the 200 or 300

I'm not looking for F1 performance but I like to be able to feel the power as I
pull away from corners or overtake.

I know an Auto box is a bit slower to respond but I like a car that always feels like its ready to go, hence the above turbo's :devil:

Also trying to find one that has not been trashed by a boy racer!!

Just go for 300 , u know you want it :d , like I say to many time before test drive both first and u will come to conclusion. , ps u more than welcome to test drive my but I live in portsmouth lol.

The manual box in a 200 is one of, if not the nicest manual boxes I've ever driven (apart from 1st having quite a sharp cut off) and is a joy to drive. But I'm told the 5sp auto box in the 300 is also very very nice. So it really boils down to whether you want auto or manual really. I know the 200 came with auto, but it's a fairly sluggish 4sp, which when I drove, I wasn't impressed by. Yes, the 300 has a bit more power, to me that's a bonus, not a buying criteria. There are some other nice features to the 300; full leather, front armrest, chromatic mirrors, etc. Again, all bonus', as opposed to buying criteria (at least to me)

If I came across a 300 in as nice a condition as my 200, that was as nice to drive and feels as tight and fresh as my 200, I'd be hard pushed not to buy it - because I'm getting lazy and I'd like to switch to an auto. The first 200's I looked at were auto's, but their 4sp box put me off, so I looked at manuals instead. A word of note on the 300 tiptronic systems - it's not a true semi-automatic box as you'd expect; the controls are actually limiters. But you can still use it as a semi-automatic for the most part that way, although nearly all I've spoken to about the system, just say they leave it in full auto and let the car take care of itself, and that the box is that good you really don't need the tiptronic controls.

Portsmouth is a bit to far for a spin aright but I'll keep it in mind if I'm ever passing by :D

Can I post a link to the car I am looking at?? maybe he / she is a member!

Its a 2002 IS300 but has no spoiler! Boot change maybe or personal preference!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links