Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Whats Happened ? Handbrake Lock Issue ?

Drove for 4 miles then stopped at a set of lights this morning, foot on brake in drive.

lights turned green and as i pulled away there was a clunk noise from rear end, then noticed handbrake light had come on. Pulled over and checked handbrake foot pedal was off (it was).

Put car in park, handbrake light still on - deployed handbrake foot pedal - light still on, released handbrake foot pedal - light still on!

turned engine off and removed key - lifted the bonnet and checked brake fluid level - was ok.

got back in car, pumped the brake pedal and seems normal, except now theres a loud click from under the gearshift console. Turned ignition on, still loud click from under shift console. Moved gear shift to drive, tested brake pedal and no click.

drove carefully home, brakes seem ok but on rolling at idle theres a very slight noise from rear (or it could be a touch of the placebo effect... will check later when my heads not spinning!).

So...... sequence goes like this:

clunk from rear on pull away

dash handbrake warning light came on

new loud click from under the gearshift console if brake pedal depressed with ignition off, or on in park but not if on in drive - was completely silent in all permutations until now.

can anyone shed some light on what might have happened/ diagnosis.... ?

update

just been out to car - turned on and warning light now disappeared! went for a half hour spin, no clunks and brakes feel fine - only symptom left is the loud shift lock solenoid!

mmmmm - going for a lie down.....

Have you noticed an increase in the parking brake travel before it can't be pushed down any further?

I would as Roy suggests jack up the rear and see if the parking brake is active on both wheels, also spin the wheels with the brake off and listen for abnormal noises possibly indicating something adrift in the drums.

Steve i haven,t noticed any change, but the travel has been almost down to the floor since I got it, so definitely needs adjustment anyway.

Presuming it is a handbrake issue, why would it cause a clunk and the shift lock solenoid to become really loud?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links