Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All

Does anyone have oil light issues? Had mine in for 7k of engine work
under warranty and since then the oil light is coming on, they topped it
up once but said I can expect to lose a litre every 1000 miles? Never
heard anything like that before..

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Me neither sounds more like an Alfa Romeo engine than a Lexus, thing you have to ask yourself is where the oil is going? Any excess smoke?

Put it this way my LS400 engine is 19 years old and has done 82,000 miles and the level doesn't move between changes.

I would return to the dealer who did the work and ask more questions.

• Like 1

Me neither sounds more like an Alfa Romeo engine than a Lexus, thing you have to ask yourself is where the oil is going? Any excess smoke?

Put it this way my LS400 engine is 19 years old and has done 82,000 miles and the level doesn't move between changes.

It was Lexus Chester, I explained Id never seen an oil warning light on any of my cars, even the 530d with 210k only sees oil at service time but he said upto 1 litre per thousand miles is acceptable but 1 litre per 3000 was the norm..

Why only since they did the work has the problem arisen?

It was Lexus Chester, I explained Id never seen an oil warning light on any of my cars, even the 530d with 210k only sees oil at service time but he said upto 1 litre per thousand miles is acceptable but 1 litre per 3000 was the norm..

Why only since they did the work has the problem arisen?

And they said the work they've done isn't covered by a warranty either? Keep hearing people rave about Lexus Customer Service but I'd advise people to steer clear of Lexus Chester... It will cost more in oil than bloody petrol :(

Have the same issue with mine. 1 quart per 1200 miles is deemed acceptable by Lexus. I think that is roughly 1.17 litre or near as.

I use about .6 litre a month which I still think is excessive for a petrol car. As you say, some diesels only get through this sort of oil consumption.

I considered selling mine because I was quite annoyed about this but I have since heard others mention the same as well as Toyota cars which also suffer similar high oil consumption.

I will say I have never seen any signs of blue smoke and I presume the oil is burnt in the cylinders.

There was a recall regarding rings but this required your car to use more than a quart in 1200 miles.

I have since resigned to the fact that I just top my oil up once a month.

Makes you wonder whether you need an oil change every 10k seeing as its being changed continuously.

I'll be interested to see what response you get either way.

Carl

Have the same issue with mine. 1 quart per 1200 miles is deemed acceptable by Lexus. I think that is roughly 1.17 litre or near as.

I use about .6 litre a month which I still think is excessive for a petrol car. As you say, some diesels only get through this sort of oil consumption.

I considered selling mine because I was quite annoyed about this but I have since heard others mention the same as well as Toyota cars which also suffer similar high oil consumption.

I will say I have never seen any signs of blue smoke and I presume the oil is burnt in the cylinders.

There was a recall regarding rings but this required your car to use more than a quart in 1200 miles.

I have since resigned to the fact that I just top my oil up once a month.

Makes you wonder whether you need an oil change every 10k seeing as its being changed continuously.

I'll be interested to see what response you get either way.

Carl

Ill let you know, they said they will be in touch early next week...

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Had a call last week from Lexus Chester who tried to blame me saying I hadn't brought it into them for a service.

Initially when I called them to tell them my light was on, they said its because it needs a service???? Having been told this I could of easily thought that as it had only done 5k it would be fine and ignored the low oil warning..

Well needless to say they kept telling me it was within manufacturers allowance to lose 1 litre per 1000k, and there was nothing wrong with the car.. Even the the problems arose only after they had carried out the warranty work.. (I had expected them to say this) To my annoyace and shock, they then said if I bring it in and pay they would sort out the problem????

In one breathe its acceptable but if I pay them they can fix it???

I've had enough and I am disgusted that in a 50k car which has had a full engine rebuild only a few thousand miles ago I am now having to regularly check my oil..

Once this Lexus has gone I won't be buying another!!! Thanks for reading..

The customer service reply when I said I hadn't heard the oil issue mentioned in their adverts.. Was that it is advertised in the owners handbook lol.. So when you've handed over your money you get to find out about it..

If as you say that this issue only occurred after they had carried out work on your car, you are covered by consumer legislation. It's not the sale of Goods act, it's the supply of Services. Look it up.

Quote it to them saying that they have failed to provide services up to a reasonable standard and involve your local Trading Standards department.

Get a quote elsewhere to repair the car back to a reasonable standard and if necessary open a claim in the small claims court.

Put all of this is writing and send to the Dealerships Manager and the Franchise Owner too, and remain calm if you call them.

Hi

Thanks for the advice, I think they will just argue that the car had done a few thousand miles before before the issue arose and they keep spouting manufacturers allowances as stated in the owners handbook..

The car only does a few thousand miles a year as I have other vehicles at my disposal and this is why it took some time for the issue to become apparent.. Had it been used more we would of noticed within a matter of weeks...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links