Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Coolant

omeo

Hi Guys, I dont know if this is the correct place to post so appolgies if wrong.

I recently brought a Lexus is200 se and was checking the coolant the other day.

I noticed that the see through resevoir tank was not showing any liquid which was

strange as i thought the engine would over heat. I undone the black resevoir cap

and filled with some coolant containing ethyl glycerol and could then see red liquid

rising through the transparent tank. I filled it nearly half way. The next day when I came

to check in the morning I could not again see any liquid in the transparent tank.

I started to fill some more coolant in and it showed it begin to fill as above.

My question is where is this coolant going and if it is disspearing why is the

engine not overheating. I am guessing their is something seperate for it as there

is a silver engine coolant cap aswell.

Thanks much appreciated.

When i bought my IS exactly the same thing... to my horror it was dry, and i had been driving for a good 3 weeks, but also wasnt over heating or having any issues. I also put coolant in and it filled the resevoiur but as i drove it must of circulated down and i had to fill it a couple of times. So keep filling it, i doubt its leaking. Remember to use the left side cap not radiator one.

Yeah same here. Expansion tank was empty when I bought the car. Drove perfect, no over heating. I didn't keep filling it tho, I flushed it and filled it with all fresh coolant. But like Pete says it needs to work it's way through the system so keep topping up. If it doesn't settle in a couple of days then you possibly have a leak somewhere. Check under your car in the morning for puddles and wet patches.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Omeo....fairly new IS200 owner here aw well. Mine was exactly the same as Chris' and Petay's. I thought I had a leak and was putting in neat antifreeze and it disappearing.....a good week will see it settle and now mine is stable. Guess like all Lexus' they've been a little neglected and just ran and levels not been checked etc.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I just buy my 2001 is 300 Sport cross auto and the coolant level was near bottom of sight glass tank when engine cold. no overheating and engine performed faultless for about a 200 miles trip.

I checked inside engine oil filler cap no sludge, checked dipstick no contaminants just clean oil. So I topped up bottle with coolant to just below the top level mark (say 1/2" below the top mark) and drove car a few miles.. inspected when hot and coolant level gone up above top limit mark. a few hours later, I checked the level again and it was 1/4" lower than my previous cold level after the top up. so topped up again. no apparent coolant leaks anywhere.

I was wondering if the coolant level was supposed to increase when engine hot then drop back when cold ??. I did think I overfilled but the level dropped back when cold. can anyone confirm this expansion of coolant level is normal please? I will monitor the levels closely this week.

Thanks

Phil

Keep topping it up, and if it finally begins to remain stable for a few weeks you'll want to get the coolant changed. Standard coolant does not mix with Toyota Red (if that's what yours already has in it).

Radiator leaks aren't uncommon on these though.

Thanks for the valued information. The coolant level has at last stabilised and just expands up and down as reported.

Does anyone know if one can buy 'ready-mixed' coolant from Lexus or Toyota dealers. The user manual states to buy Toyota coolant.

Thanks

Phil

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links