Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Grass Is Greener? Bmw V Lexus

BMW used the 3 series engineers to design the front and the X6 engineers to design the rear...i say either one wants to drive a saloon or one wants an SUV so whats up with BMW trying to combine both into one?? is there really a market for this?? I see it like this.. a Saloon driver wants to sit low and attack corners where as an SUV driver wants to sit high and waft around. both Lexus and BMW cater for the same class(Premium) car buyers and both brands will get you from London to Birmingham OK so will boil down to what one really wants from a car. e.g BMW dealers are known to treat their customers like crap and even charge to replace a light bulb whereas Lexus dealers are known to treat every customer like they are spending £50K with the exception of a few so if one puts customer service high in their list when looking at new cars or drivetrain refinement then BMW looses to Lexus but if one puts handling high in their list then Lexus looses to BMW. so a decision to go for BMW over Lexus or Lexus over BMW really depends on what one puts as a priority when shopping for a Premium brand car as both brands are in the same class.

I personally wouldn't consider a BMW for the 1 fact that every man drives one and his dog too drives one .. and if i would ever get a Diesel car i would opt for a nice comfy facelift Volvo S60 D5. they known as 'Old mans car' but their rarity, design and the way they glide through the road with slightly tinted windows always makes me take a second glance. but hey BMW is not a bad car just too common for me..

OK thanks for your reply. That car is the 3 series GT btw, I meant this one the 420 - looks like the new Honda Accord Coupe -

8qWh15e.jpg

I keep reading reports about BMW that are either all plus or all minus. Anyone have any reliability stories? My local Lexus dealer closed and moved towns, there's still a local BMW dealer that has a very poor reputation here though. I'd love the Honda but they won't import the coupe into the UK.

vTVKR1g.jpg

sorry jpac Auto car labled that as the 4series GT so thought that was the one you meant. the pic you have up looks quite nice and given an iption i would go for the Honda/Acura tbh. Honda has upped thier game in recent years..

When my Lexus was smashed up years ago, the assessor said to me "never get a BMW", on the other hand an old guy I know keeps bragging about getting 65mpg out of his 320d.

I wonder if the UK will get USA built Lexus in the future? http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130419/CARNEWS/130419799

In my 35 years of car ownership, my Hondas have had a fraction of problems than my Lexus.

In the above pix, the BMW looks sleeker to me, the Honda is US only, importing and converting to RHD would not be practical IMO.

Not exactly a like for like comparison to the model you have asked about above but I have a 535d and an IS220d. Dealers can be good or bad for either marque so that tends to be luck of the draw. In the past Lexus had a very good network but I think that has/is slipping.

As to build quality. Our lexus (both cars are 2007 BTW) is nowhere near the build quality of the BMW. Now I know the two models are at slightly different aim points in the market but that doesn't excuse all the interior rattles in the IS. Both cars seem to have the proper materials from a structural point of view put in them, given a choice of which to get hit in I think I would plump for the BMW.

Handling. BMWs are very finnicky about wheel and tyre setup and on the newer 5 series the general consensus is to go for the dynamic suspension. Get all that correct and the BMW is a very nice handling car with a slightly maybe too firm suspension. Our IS has a good balance but is severely compromised by a poor drivetrain.

Engines. Don't make me laugh. Lexus haven't a clue about diesel. BMW are leagues ahead.

Comfort. If you spec the BMW properly you will be ahead but the the std Lexus is ahead of the std BMW. (BMW has more choice though remember).

Reliability. I don't have our Lexus long enough to make a judgement but they are not without problems it would seem. BMWs are not worry free either. I have an extended warranty on mine, something I never considered doing before I bought a BMW, and I have had my moneys worth out of it so far.

Overall. I prefer my 535d. Why? More comfortable, quieter, relaxing and doesn't use any more diesel (a tad less if anything) for what feels like 10 times the performance. A friend has a GS450h and I would have the 535d over that any day too.

New 4 series if you spec it correctly will be a very good car. The new 3 series handles quite nicely in comparison to the older models I have driven anyway. You will pay for the privilege though.

As for how many others drive them etc.. I don't know but that sounds a bit vain to me. If I'm going for a short spirited drive I prefer hopping into my 14 year old subaru which has stratospheric mileage (for a turbo scooby anyway). Maybe it's just me.

Not exactly a like for like comparison to the model you have asked about above but I have a 535d and an IS220d. Dealers can be good or bad for either marque so that tends to be luck of the draw. In the past Lexus had a very good network but I think that has/is slipping.

As to build quality. Our lexus (both cars are 2007 BTW) is nowhere near the build quality of the BMW. Now I know the two models are at slightly different aim points in the market but that doesn't excuse all the interior rattles in the IS. Both cars seem to have the proper materials from a structural point of view put in them, given a choice of which to get hit in I think I would plump for the BMW.

Handling. BMWs are very finnicky about wheel and tyre setup and on the newer 5 series the general consensus is to go for the dynamic suspension. Get all that correct and the BMW is a very nice handling car with a slightly maybe too firm suspension. Our IS has a good balance but is severely compromised by a poor drivetrain.

Engines. Don't make me laugh. Lexus haven't a clue about diesel. BMW are leagues ahead.

Comfort. If you spec the BMW properly you will be ahead but the the std Lexus is ahead of the std BMW. (BMW has more choice though remember).

Reliability. I don't have our Lexus long enough to make a judgement but they are not without problems it would seem. BMWs are not worry free either. I have an extended warranty on mine, something I never considered doing before I bought a BMW, and I have had my moneys worth out of it so far.

Overall. I prefer my 535d. Why? More comfortable, quieter, relaxing and doesn't use any more diesel (a tad less if anything) for what feels like 10 times the performance. A friend has a GS450h and I would have the 535d over that any day too.

New 4 series if you spec it correctly will be a very good car. The new 3 series handles quite nicely in comparison to the older models I have driven anyway. You will pay for the privilege though.

As for how many others drive them etc.. I don't know but that sounds a bit vain to me. If I'm going for a short spirited drive I prefer hopping into my 14 year old subaru which has stratospheric mileage (for a turbo scooby anyway). Maybe it's just me.

Your right no where near a like for like comparison. The only similarity is they use the same fuel. The BMW was probably double the price of the 220 at the time of purchase. My ISF is nearer the BMW price and beats it in every way except for MPG.

hi, im fortunate to have in our household a 318d msport (09 plate) and an IS250 sport (06 plate).

The BMW is more of a drivers car, however the lexus has cleaner lines, tons more standard kit, although the road tax is a bone of contention in our house LOL.

Getting interesting. The following two pages are from J D power;

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/jd-power-survey-2012/compact-executives/263078

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/jd-power-survey-2012/executive-cars/263078

The reliability for the 5 series in the chart only gets 2 stars. :(

The IS does well.

When I got my IS all those years ago, in order to bring the BMW up to the spec level of the Lexus would've cost another 25% over std kit. Does anybody else go through all this or just buy on impulse? ;)

Edit, I'm putting in paragraph spaces but they're not working.

Not a bad looking car. It seems BMW are looking better again these days. but sorry not sure what Lexus you are comparing it too? There isnt really one. In general Lexus and BMW have completely different roots and are not comparable Its down to personal preference and opinion of what type of driving style you like, and i would hope Lexus keep to their roots even if Europe tends to lean towards BMWs sporty approach, europeon style Americans would say.

Since someone brought up reliability, well i wouldnt trust the BMW. If i bought one of those new i would want to keep it a long time.

if i was in the market for a new MY coupe it would have to be the Cadillac CTS-V. Great car

Hmmm something got lost in the translation or my rambling.

What I was trying to say was if you spec the BMW properly it will be a very nice car to drive and be in. Reliability and price may be an issue. I have yet to find the "perfect" car so everything is a compromise. Before I bought the 5 I viewed and tested the LS and was left rather unimpressed, a nice car to be driven in not drive. The same for the GS.

Both marques have their strong points and weaknesses, on balance I think BMW are the better bet. To be perfectly frank I think subaru are better than both of them but SWMBO vetoed that idea as the IS is her car and it was time for hers to be changed.

Lexus trade strongly on their equipment, reliability and dealership support. The first I will not argue with the other two particularly the last have large question marks. We all value things differently and for me Lexus just doesn't quite hit the mark as well as BMW.

I think it boils down to where you consider that "balance" to be at its best to be honest. LEXis200sport when buying his luxury barge test drove S class, LS, and 7 series and reported the 7 series was buy far the best to drive, whereas the S class and more so the LS just wofts about.

For me if i wanted a luxury car ide want to to be as smooth, quiet and soft as possible, so much so if i closed my eyes at 80 MPH i couldnt even tell i was moving :outforcount:

Im the minority in this and most people would opt for the driving pleasures of a BMW which shows when you see how rare Lexus are compared to BMW, but im thankful that Lexus still choose to sell there cars here for people like me and is why us Lex folk love our Lex, not much else like it in europe :)

In the USA its the other way round which is where Lexus's biggest market is too

• Like 1

Hi, just seen the new BMW 420 coupe, anyone considered this as an alternative to a Lexus?

If this comes to fruition, it should be a worthy competitor to the 4-series. Image stolen from here.

13-03-19-lexus-rc-f-mag-x.jpg

I viewed and tested the LS and was left rather unimpressed, a nice car to be driven in not drive.

Ditto. I shared the same sentiments. But I'm curious on how the latest LS600h performs in that department with the inclusion of active anti-roll bars.

Handling. BMWs are very finnicky about wheel and tyre setup and on the newer 5 series the general consensus is to go for the dynamic suspension.

Does dynamic suspension = dynamic drive? If so, mine has it equipped and I couldn't praise it more. On the straights the car just glides over bumps. Yet in the bends, it corners so flat it's almost unbelievable from a car its size.

Which is sad/surprising considering that Toyota has produced so many capable diesel engines and should have nailed it.

That RC-F looks smart, the RC Coupe should be more practical, chances of a 2 litre diesel auto? Slim.

Sorry Lexus but that new grille is way too big and ugly. (IMO). (Like Doofy from the Scary Movie series, unable to close his lips).

Quote; "Kazuo Ohara, executive vice president of Lexus International, says sports cars including a rival to the upcoming BMW 4-Series and the current Audi A5 and Mercedes-Benz C-Class coupe is a space he would like to see the brand have more presence."

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/02/27/two-coupes-planned-for-lexus-lineup/

Lexus has washed off their hands on Diesel technology . its all about petrol/Hybrid so chance of us seeing another Diesel in a Lexus is 0%... I read an article a while back about Toyota and BMW working together to develop the new Toyota Supra and this deal will result in each brands sharing technologies i.e BMW supplies Toyota/Lexus with Diesel engines and Lexus supplying BMW with Hybrid engines but how true these rumors are, i don't know....

coming to the new IS front grill, i do like it.. most think its only there as a cosmetic design but its been confirmed its sole duty is to channel all air coming in front over to the sides/rear of the car to give high levels of rear grip. same as the Niss'an GTR... front end does not look nice but its not meant to be a cosmetic design.. saw one on my way from work today and thought 'you lucky b****d'

post-39192-0-88410400-1366664266_thumb.j

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links