Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Needing Help With Ignition Barrel Light!

Scots-IS200

Hi there, I'm new to this site. I was trying to replace the bulb for ignition ring only to find out that its not working at all. who ever had the car before me has cut the wires and reconnected them but i have no light from the bulb.. Also the dimmer for the dash lights is also doing nothing, Could someone please help to tell me maybe how to fix it and also if these two problems could be linked as its all to do with lights, Would like to point out that the dash lights and interior lights still work fine. its just the ignition ring and dimmer. thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

The ignition switch light is normally connected on the same circuit as the dome light so check to see if this is working first and if not start with the fuse for this circuit.

As for the dash dimmer first check it is actually connected, there have been cases where the trim has been removed and refitted but the connector plug to the dimmer left off.

Hi there, thanks for the welcome. I've been out today and tried testing it with a multimeter. I wasn't getting anything from it at all (with the door open) I had checked the interior light and that's still working and it is. I have just thought to myself, I have a LED bulb in the interior. would this affect it or should this still be fine? I also checked the fuse box yesterday and everything was fine. I really dont know where to go from now..

It's possible that the lighting rheostat has failed - I've had this happen on a Celica and on a Supra in the past and replacement was the only cure.

It may be worth finding a known working spare to try.

As for the ignition barrel light - So you have actually replaced the bulb? Can you check continuity across the joints in the wiring to ascertain that they are sound? It may be worth cutting the previous owner's attempt out and remaking the joint with a soldering iron and heatshrink tube over the repair just to rule it out for your own piece of mind.

I might have a spare ring with wiring and connector plug but it's from an LS400 so may not fit although I can't see them being too different so will check my EPC for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi scott. thanks for taken time to get back to me. Yeah i replaced the bulb in ignition ring but had no improvement from it. The person that had it before me has done some serious bodge job on it. So would all these problems be connected to each other? as its the dome light dimmer not doing anything (but if set to on does work), the dash dimmer switch & ignition ring.. I still get light from my ashtray light and lighter. The reason I'm wanting it fixed is so i can use these points to run some footwell lights to dim when car door has been closed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm

Tricky to diagnose these things without being there but it may be an idea to try making sure everything is as standard as possible. Replace the LED bulb for a standard one and check all your wiring - especially any joints that have been cut. Make sure wires are connected correctly if they have been trimmed or spliced anywhere.

I would like to help more but all the wiring diagrams I have are for GS and LS cars. I believe Lexus will provide wiring diagrams if you ask and I would certainly recommend getting one for the interior lighting circuit.

I'll obviously be watching this thread and will help where I can

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links