Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Crank Pulley Puller Tool 1G Fe

petayV8

My good friend was about to change my cambelt tomorrow until he found he would of needed a crank pulley removal tool? I havent come across much info on this and thought it was a pretty straight forward job on a IS200 so am a bit mystified

Anyway where can i get one of these tools or would one of you fellow members like to lend it me if you had one :whistling:

Just tell him to tap it with a rubber mallet or similar side to side, has to be quite strong strikes as pulley has rubber damper built in. It will come off without a puller mine did.

Yeah ive recently just read this. However i think hes worried of damaging something or getting stuck half way though considering hes not familiar with Lexus or Japanese cars in general

Yes i have seen that thanks. If my friends not confident to do it im glad he's been honest.

So you think its easy to do yourself Ian? have you? ive never done anything close and my Dads only done brake work on his cars, so im not sure :wacko:

Ive just rang a good garage i know of and they said they can do it and for £150 labour, i guess thats pretty good? only £70 more than my friend wanted. I did give Toyota a ring to as its closer but they wanted £300+ just for labour!

Yes Pete i changed mine following the guide, went straight forward and i'd never changed one before in my life. Pity your not closer

hmm really wanna give it a go tbh, the parts are in the shed just collecting dust! but think i would want someones help. Ive emailed my dad and brother with the details. Thanks for the offer though if you were? You are kind of far yeah. So did you do it alone then?

Since were on the topic Ian can you confirm my steps

It seems these are the basic steps off the top of my head

1. Remove airbox and covers

2. Drain coolant
3. Remove rad and fans,,(Dont forget to disconnect oil cooler pipes for gearbox)
4. Remove cambelt cover (top)
5. Remove aux belts by loosening tensioners
6. Mark cambelt position on camshaft and crankshaft with tipex or similar? (mine were already marked from factory with paint)
7. Unscrew crankshaft pulley (will be very tight,,,if you cant loosen it use extension on wrench or breaker bar rest on inner wing and flick ignition on/off, Will turn engine over and loosen bolt)
8. Tap crankshalf pulley until it loosens (in theory)

9. remove lower cambelt cover

10 loosen both tensioners

11 Remove cambelt

12. Remove water pump

13. Seal water pump gasket and clean old gasket seals off engine

14. Replace new water pump

15. Remove both pulleys/tensioners

16. Replace both pulleys/tensioners (new ones)
17. Replace lower cambelt cover
18. Replace crankshaft pulley and tighten bolt

19. put everything else back together

20. Coolant! :)

Edited by IanS200
added steps

Seems knowone is up for helping me! everyone thinks its super complicated and hard, even though ive sent the steps and how to guide to them, being my brother, Dad and a couple of friends. At the same time dont feel confident tackling it on my own somehow. Oh well, ill have it booked in at the garage next week. Cant wait to get the water pump fitted, its friggin noisy and have never heard the so called silent 1G FE in action since i bought it!

Does seem complicated, just a question of taking your time really, but if people dont feel safe doing it, probably better off at a garage. Should only take a pro a couple of hours.

Does seem complicated, just a question of taking your time really, but if people dont feel safe doing it, probably better off at a garage. Should only take a pro a couple of hours.

She looked at autodata and it quoted her 3 hours. So you reckon 2 with water pump done too? (oh and yes my mechanic is a woman) :alien:

• 4 weeks later...

Just tell him to tap it with a rubberized hammer or identical part to part, has to be quite powerful attacks as lever has rubberized damper designed in. It will come off without a puller Infact for my own ride i did the same thing.

For more details contact us: info@sydneyelitelimo.com.au 28 Sunny Crescent, Punchbowl NSW 2196 Phone #: 61-414974062 airport limo sydney | sydney airport limo | sydney limo

• 4 weeks later...

You either get lucky or you don't with the crank pulleys on both the 200 and 300.

We've had 3 of us on a scaffold bar on a pulley bolt on a 300 before.

When they get stuck on the easiest way is with a puller (something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-pulley-puller-66868.html). You'd have to put the pulley bolt in a bit and wind in the threaded bar in the puller and it will start to pull the pulley off the shaft.

Yeah i was looking for that tool as i saw someone use it in a youtube video. couldnt find one for sale in the UK. anyway i chickened out doing it myself and paid a good mechanic i knew. She said she saw autodata listed a puller as a required tool but dismissed it. She said its not needed from experience. She reported it was straight forward and didnt run into any issue. The hardest part was the water pump bolt was a awquad to get off. She also commented it was a delightful car to work on with plenty of room and a traditional layout

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links