Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Key Help

Hi,

I have a 2004 is200 and my shell casing has cracked in the uk. I see I can get an aftermarket key and just put my transponder in the casing. I see there are a couple blade options though for the is200 an toy40 & toy48 is there any way of knowing which blade my car uses before purchasing one online. My local key cutters are happy to cut the blade once purchased.

Just another question about the new key. Where is the imobiliser chip located in the key? Is it part of the removable transponder that has the buttons to unlock the car or is it built into the actual key? Hope that makes sense?

Yeah I know I used to have the same problem with the keys for my toyota mr2. Although the new key I have purchased is also a conversion key to a flip key key hopefully this will be more durable. Will post pics of the coversion when I recieve the new key if it works.

Ok new key turned up went to a local locksmith who said he couldn't cut it at his shop as it needed to be laser cut but his sister shop in another town could do it for me.

I then noticed another lock smith over the road and popped in there. He said he could cut the key which he did. I need to go back but as the key does not turn in the ignition I have noticed a bit of metal that has not been cut away like on the original and assume this to be the problem. My concern is the locksmith did not use a laser cutter to cut the key but a normal key cutting machine. Didn't know about the cutting processes until after i had it done. Will this still work or should i just get another key and go to the shop the first locksmith told me about?

hi,a lot of places don't seem to have the proper laser cutting machine to do it properly,know someone in Milton Keynes who did mine for £15 a key,he can even cut key from key number in your device book if your locks haven't been changed,will pm you his details if you want ?

My local Timpsons done mine inside a Tesco store... he cut the key normally, took him 5 minutes and he even took the transponder out of my old one and moved it to the new key...

It cost £7 and worked first time and still working fine now.

Only thing he did say was he couldn't guarantee the blade because i didn't buy it from him.

Cheers for the reply. Have been back to the locksmith today who has put it back on his cutter. Now the key works in the door but still not in the ignition so i know the key seems to be working. The transponder from the old key is still working fine as i can still use it if i hold the old key together. Any ideas why the new key will still not turn the ignition barrel?

hi at a guess I would say the blade has not been cut properly as it should turn the ignition barrel too as I take it the old one turned both.

Yeah the original turns both. Wouldnt be anything to do with the barrel being worn would as obviously the door lock never gets used unlike the ignition?

hi,no as the old one turned both so is not an issue and if the new blade was cut using the old one as a template it should work both.My hunch is it hasn't been cut properly.

There's a topic on this already. Hopefully the link should work....I've copied and pasted it while on my mobile, so here's hoping it opens.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/81219-one-key-not-starting-the-car/page-2#entry813351

Might be the same as doing it on a flip key, which I would love to have...makes it more with the times I think.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links