Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hey there, this question is strictly for information purposes of course. If SWIM was to use red diesel in his January 2006 Lexus Is220d would the car run fine with it or is it it liable to wreck the engine? Has SWIY used red diesel before in their Is220d and if so what were the results? SWIM always used red diesel in their previous cars but have heard a lot about the engines in these cars being very refined and a nightmare to fix. Thanks in advance guys. Apologies if I'm breaking any rules. B.

Hi

the only difference is the colour and rip off duty put on it , i know some will disagree but if goverment did not take the pi.. out of drivers then these questions would not be asked , they bring it on themselves through greed and tax.

Thanks for the reply guys. Just wasn't sure how strict this place is cause it's my first post but as is said above the question wouldn't be asked if they rip the arse out of it with the duty.

Isn't it illegal to use red derv on road cars?

Yes it is but it should also be illegal to put 70% duty on fuel as well.

Yep no argument it should but thems the rules!

I've just read its £500 fine if you get caught, £1000 if caught a second time and third time they take your car and crush it. Is this true? Not worth the risk in my opinion. And to be honest why should the OP get cheap fuel when the rest of us have to pay the tax?

Just like to point out that red derv( designed for machinery etc ) usually has NO additive in it too....

just for your info...

I wondered that as well, but surely the likes of red from a texaco station would have the additives etc???, only difference I would have thought that its marked red.

Yep no argument it should but thems the rules!

I've just read its £500 fine if you get caught, £1000 if caught a second time and third time they take your car and crush it. Is this true? Not worth the risk in my opinion. And to be honest why should the OP get cheap fuel when the rest of us have to pay the tax?

It's not just the fine, but you also have to pay the fuel duty and VAT that they think you have avoided.

They usually do this by looking at the car's odometer, and looking up the combined fuel consumption for the car, then charging you the tax on the expected amount of fuel. So, if the car has 90k miles on it when you are caught, and it does 30 mpg combined, then you'd be expected to pay the duty/VAT on 3000 gallons of fuel, in addition to the fine.

Of course, if you have dated receipts of taxed fuel and official records of the vehicle's mileage which all seem to tally, then you may be able to argue the case that you have used taxed fuel for some of the vehicle's life, and be able to negotiate paying the duty on a smaller volume of fuel.

@ChumpusRex I couldn't really see that being true to be honest with you mate. If it is the rules I don't think they enforce it like that I've had 2 mates that have been caught filling up at the pump before and it's just the fine they got hit with. Pretty sure it was £500. The difference in money saving is massive though for £20 in red I get 2/3 lines above half a tank when filling up near empty. Can't be bad with that!

@ChumpusRex I couldn't really see that being true to be honest with you mate. If it is the rules I don't think they enforce it like that I've had 2 mates that have been caught filling up at the pump before and it's just the fine they got hit with. Pretty sure it was £500. The difference in money saving is massive though for £20 in red I get 2/3 lines above half a tank when filling up near empty. Can't be bad with that!

I guess it probably depends on the area, the individual inspector and how likely it is they think they'll get the money from you, and whether they think you've been doing it long term. It is in the rules that they can charge you for all the fuel they think you might have used, however, they probably are pragmatic, in that getting something is better than spending money on fighting for a bit more.

Happened to a mate of mine who, quite frankly, could easily afford to pay road fuel prices, and got caught at a random roadside dipping (which he claims was sheer bad luck on one of his first tanks of red). Their original demand was calculated based on the vehicle's odometer. He had his solicitor write back, with the mileage when he bought the car, including a copy of the invoice, and a wad of credit card statements showing periodic fuel purchases, and an offer to pay about £600; which apparently was accepted without any further argument.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links