Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Rear Electric Motor Cable

As mentioned preciously seems to be quite a bit of red rust on the subframes and particularly the cast surfaces underneath my car.

Have treated quite amlot with Kurust and it is looking much better.

Whilst underneath the car noticed that the orange cable which connects to the rear electric motor had a metal sheath around the end which seems to have corroded away.The actual orange wire connection looks okay but clearly there was amcover which is no more.

The car seems fine but am obviously concerned to make this discovery.

Any advice from the technical experts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

from what I can tell there is no metal at the connector end. There is a metal support at the side of the diff and a plastic clip or two. I stuck my head under my vehicle but difficult to see with the suspension and exhaust in the way.

post-3469-0-13663500-1374006217_thumb.pn

just crawled under my vehicle, looked like the diagram I posted rather than your pictures. I guess I need to follow the HV wiring round a bit more. Too dark now though.

Still from your pictures I cannot see why you think something is missing / corroded.

Colin there is a thread on Club Lexus started by Chambl which is titled ever seen this before it shows a picture of a badly corroded connection but still having the metal strands of the shroud in place. There is a picture of another one later in the thread showing a southern california users unit showing no signs of corrosion.Posts are around christmas 2012 if ai am reading the US style date correctly.

They do not give a definative conclusion.

Interested to hear your view and if this has come up before.

Thanks

Chris

Clearly the place to live is California looking at those photos.

Mine is less corroded but on its way and starts to fall apart when I touch it:

post-3469-0-89027400-1374089244_thumb.jp

it is electrical shielding used to reduce electromagnetic interference generated by the high voltage three phase AC current going to the motor. It doesn't provide any physical protection to the cable or isn't used as a ground to carry any current. I wouldn't be concerned about this, the cable is still grounded at the other end, which is where the shielding is of more use (nearer the electronic components).

You could always replace the cable. Its called wire frame 3, which would cost over £1,000 for the part and quite a few hours labour :o

Evening Colin

Many thanks your reply must say feel a bit happier now.Guess treating the red rust area with Kurust would at least slow the corrosion of the metal holder down.

£1000 plus labour wow that's expensive. I did get six months warranty with the car but non Lexus warranty 2000 and not sure this would be covered particularly as it has not actually failed yet. Would there be any mileage in putting gaffer or electrical tape around the area where the metal strands used to be or not necessary.

Really appreciate your help Colin particularly taking the trouble to look under your car.

Would there be any mileage in putting gaffer or electrical tape around the area where the metal strands used to be or not necessary.

I would say that is unnecessary. You aren't restoring the electrical continuity by doing that which is all that the original metal strands were for.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links