Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yes I am referring to the shims.

Some of the existing ones has literally disintegrated/melted when the garage machanic heated them to red hot, to get the stuck caliper pins out. They were really really seized.

I probably still have half of shims left, so will use these first. Priority will be on the inside side (piston side), agree?

Not even Lexus pads will be supplied with shims.

It's OK to leave the shims out - it won't affect your braking (certainly not on the rears either). Many vehicle manufacturers don't even use them.

The shims are fitted to help prevent brake fade and noise. Just fit the pads normally using copper grease on the backing and sliding parts.

Frustratingly though, I just gave away a set of rear shims!

I just bought front Pads and rear pads from Lexus

Front pads - L04465-48110 - £58.12

Rear pads - L04466-48090- £36.99

Ive changed the front ones already, but im considering using other brands for the rear

How does this compares to other brands in terms of price, durability & performance

third party rear pads are around the £25 - £35 range so a little cheaper. They all probably do a similar job, especially on the rear. All should be able to product enough fiction force to lock up the wheels at speed (which is the maximum force you need to achieve) so one isn't going to give better braking distances over another but I guess you could get better feel/progression from one make to another.

Toyota pads are normally excellent for performance and durability so I don't expect the cheaper ones to be as good, but some may create less dust.

Given that you can get the genuine pads so cheap it doesn't seem worth saving a few pounds for something that may not be as good and you either have to replace them or live with with them for a number of years until the wear out.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links