Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Steering Problem

Tim17

Hi guys, i have searched the forum but to be honest i can't find anything that really helps my situation.

So, I've only had the car about 5 days, but since i've had it the power steering (***when it's cold***) is a problem, but only until the car is warmed up.

The problem is, when i turn the wheel, the power steering belt is slipping (steering pump pulley stops but the belt carries on flying round causing the normal terrible screeching), but only when it's cold, but sometimes even when it's warmed up abit it will do the same thing when i put it on full lock!

So basically upon first inspection the power steering fluid level was low, below minimum, so i topped it up and everything seemed ok, untill the next morning when it was cold and it was doing it again, it's so annoying and embarrasing, i'm sure the neighbours wont be happy with me at 7am everyday also haha :whistling:.

I've checked the belt tension and it doesn't seem slack, also the belt is only about 2/3years old it has a Gates one on there. I'm keeping an eye on the fluid (because makes me wonder why was it so low in the first place?), it seems to have gone down a small amount since i topped it up but i don't know if that's normal because of how low it was previously or maybe i have a leak somewhere? If so where should i be checking? Is there a common area for the PAS system to be at fault?

I kind of don't know where to start, so any thoughts/ideas would be great, thanks :phone:

1st - if you need to top up fluid again then you have a leak, get it then checked out by local garage.

2nd - no leaks then get the fluid changed then take it from there.

worst case - p/s pump is sticking, change it.

Are you sure the belt is the right tension mate?

Mine squeeled awful just like you're describing. Quick tighten up and all has been well since. Over a year now.

If you are 100% sure it's not a slack belt then what Mr. Rudus said sounds like good advice :)

Power steering pump faults are very rare on this car. I've never heard of a power steering pump going on one of these and I read a lot of Lexus/IS200 forums.

p/s pump failure is rare case. more common is the incorrect fluid used and loose tension on belt.

as Tim mentioned he has checked the tension, which also can be the problem though.

however, I would have the tension a bit more firm on the p/s than the other aux belts.

Cheers for the reply guys, how exactly do i tension the belt up more? I notice its on the sliding adjuster held in place with a 14mm nut/bolt, so i loosened that but i couldn't budge the pump, there's no room to get any leverage in there to try and move the pump to tighten the belt. Unless i'm going the wrong way about it and there's a better method?

Thanks.

you undo the nut then tighten up the bolt to tension the belt more. the more you tight it the more it will tighten up.

then at the end tighten the nut back up. the only prob is there is very little room to get there so be patient. if you could access from under the car its easier.

a bit of wd40 or similar lubricant helps on the adjuster bolt.

all the best -

you undo the nut then tighten up the bolt to tension the belt more. the more you tight it the more it will tighten up. then at the end tighten the nut back up. the only prob is there is very little room to get there so be patient. if you could access from under the car its easier.a bit of wd40 or similar lubricant helps on the adjuster bolt.all the best -

So the same nut and bolt i was on about? So i undo the 14mm nut and then 'do up' the bolt clockwise and it will tighten the tension?

if I recall correctly, yes.

just hope the adjuster is not seized.

keep checking the belt tension as you tighten the bolt.

tighten it up then take it from there hoping your probs are solved.

Cheers mate, but what you've said about tensioning the belt wont work, there is a 14mm bolt (on the slider part) which holds it in place, but this bolt goes into a nut on the other side which is welded on to the back part so im kinda of confused, also, yesterday i was looking at the pump and there was abit of oil on the back of it, i didn't know if this was from the pump itself or from somewhere else, so i wiped it completely dry and today i've looked again after a bit of commuting, and i had a bit of fluid on the my fingers from the back of the pump, so it would seem the pump has a small leak which could even be the original problem and would also explain why the PAS fluid resourvoir was so low after i bought it!

your adjuster bolt should be free unless is seized. I am thinking someone previous has welded the lock nut!

and the pump should be dry. sounds like you do have a leak then. have you topped up the fluid and ran the car a week or something.

has the fluid gone down again ? if you can post a pic up or two of the pump from side angle, it could be the p/s pipe or the seal in the pump in this case -

I have no idea i dont see why anyone would weld it though! I will post a picture up when i get round to it but im away from home at the minute i'm down in Devon ;D i'll keep you posted on the fluid level mate, pretty sure its not from the pipe!

that's fine, a pic should help.

keep an eye on the fluid level, need to know if it has gone down again.

and its best to clean the pump as best you can, dry.

drive it and then check fluid level and the pump of any sign of leak.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links