Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clutch Noise

Dan07

Hi everyone, just bought a 2006 IS250 SE Manual with 30k on the clock, love it, looks and drives like a dream but one tiny thing bothering me a little bit - I've noticed when I'm sitting in the car on a quiet road and the windows are closed, the car is in neutral theres a slight whirring noise which completely disappears when I press the clutch all the way to the floor. It's not loud or anything at all, the car drives fine, changes gears fine etc, it's only when it is idling in neutral that this very low noise can be heard, however when I press the clutch all the way down the car is so quiet I can barely hear the engine it sounds like it is off!

Just a few charecteristics to help you guys diagnose the issue (or maybe it is just in my head!!! :)

• Noise is like a very low "whir" almost like air con switched on to the lowest setting (no it's not the air con! :P )
  • It can't be heard from the outside no matter where you listen from... under the car, under the bonnet, next to the car - it sounds completely normal and no difference can really be heard between clutch in and clutch out.
  • As far as I can tell there's no noise when it's in gear and I'm driving.
  • If it's in neutral and the car is still and idling, I can depress the clutch and slip it into any gear very smooth and without and noise, however when I'm driving and I depress the clutch then try to shift and put the gear knob "almost into gear" - not quite sticking it in I hear a little sound which is like something is rubbing, not metal clanking like when you miss a gear but more soft.

I've read up and seen that it might be the release bearing or the slave cylinder but I've watched videos on youtube and mine doesn't sound anywhere near of the same charecteristic or loudness! Like previously mentioned it's only got 30k on the clock and everything else is like a dream, just this little thing that's bugging me - but perhaps it is just in my head and I am pursuing perfection a bit too far!

The noise is inaudible during the day on busy roads or even when the radio is turned up just a tiny bit...only on quiet roads during the day or on very quiet roads at night...

Someone please tell me I've gone crazy! :)

Many thanks in advance

Sounds like it could be the clutch release bearing, they can make a low frequency whirring sound that goes when the clutch pedal is depressed. Lift the pedal up and the whirring returns.

Thanks for the reply! Should I leave it as it is and wait till it gets worse? Will it get worse? How much approx is it to replace in case it is the release bearing?

Guess it depends how the previous driver was at clutch useage.

Some folk are heavy/rough footed with the clutch...others leave the left foot a tad heavily sat on the clutch pedal and then wonder why the clutch is wearing out quicker than normal.

If you only just got it are you still under the warranty period...if you got from trader?

Guess it depends how the previous driver was at clutch useage.

Some folk are heavy/rough footed with the clutch...others leave the left foot a tad heavily sat on the clutch pedal and then wonder why the clutch is wearing out quicker than normal.

If you only just got it are you still under the warranty period...if you got from trader?

Yes, and I bought 1 year warranty as well but under the warranty under the clutch section they only cover the master and slave cylinders, but under the gear box section it says they cover bearings and bushes...is release bearing clutch or gearbox?

D'oh! Sod it, not really bothering me as long as it stays how it is. Might not even be the bearing as it is so quiet.

Will live with it, unless it gets worse then I'll have a look at it.

Hey normski, just had a quick think about the release bearing... Shouldn't that sound wrong when the clutch is pressed down and not when it's released as that's when it spins and when pressure is applied to it? Wouldn't it be the input shaft bearing noise that disappears when the clutch is pressed? Also, I have attached a video of my noise. Might need headphones turned up to full volume to hear it properly. Let me know your thoughts

http://youtu.be/G39mg9lh-8Q

Have to say its very difficult to give sound(no pun intended) advice via the computer medium. I'd get a reliable mechanic to give a listen to it see what is said. Even take it to several.

Have to say its very difficult to give sound(no pun intended) advice via the computer medium. I'd get a reliable mechanic to give a listen to it see what is said. Even take it to several.

Just got told that this noise along with the jar of marbles noise on the is250 are perfectly normal as long as not too loud. That's it, will close this in my mind at the moment :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links