Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I bought replacement struts months ago but it is only now that I have time to actually do some work on my LS400. My Alfa GTV has been taking up my time, like they do.

I'm sure I saw a thread on here with a 'how to' on strut replacement but I can't seem to find it now.

Any pointers or advice gratefully received.

Fairly straight forward to replace,first find a suitable prop to support the bonnet along the front edge at its fully open position ( piece of wood for example).

Change the struts one at a time, remove both top and bottom fixings using an open ended spanner,romove the old strut and refit the replacement.

Once both are replaced take the weight of the bonnet off the prop and make sure the bonnet stays up on the new struts, this is purely for safety reasons if one of the new ones were to be faulty the bonnet can shut so quickly it would cause serious injury if your hand was in the way.

Complete job should take no more than 20-30 minutes.

Thank you for the advice. Sounds much less scary than I had expected.

I'm already using a prop for the bonnet as I like to check the oil and water every now and again just for the sake of it. Unforunately the first prop I used was an old walking stick that's been in the family for years, which I found to be a swordstick. Probably not the best thing to keep in the car even if was very blunt indeed.

Now using a modern carbon-fibre walking stick which does the job nicely.

AND don't forget you can have the old struts re-gassed

Yes very good point, SGS at Derby do them at a reasonable price.

Mine tend to go a little weak in winter but always up to now recover in the warmer weather,not bad for the originals and considering the bonnet is opened weekly for the fluid level checks.

Thank you for the advice. Sounds much less scary than I had expected.

I'm already using a prop for the bonnet as I like to check the oil and water every now and again just for the sake of it. Unforunately the first prop I used was an old walking stick that's been in the family for years, which I found to be a swordstick. Probably not the best thing to keep in the car even if was very blunt indeed.

Now using a modern carbon-fibre walking stick which does the job nicely.

I've got a very long handled mountineering Ice pick which I sometimes use in winter as a walking stick AND a bonnet prop :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links