Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen Washer Fluid?

Hi all, can anyone reccommend a decent windscreen washer fluid or like a mechanic friend of mine said just use distilled water as some of the additive fluids can block up your pipes and jets over time??

Any ideas?

Don't just use water as it will freeze in the winter, most likely splitting the pipes and or water bottle. I use this and it's excellent.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-RAIN-REPELLENT-SUPER-Concentrate-Screen-Wash-Windscreen-65ml-/180865201474?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item2a1c67f542

Edited by IanS200
wrong link

I find you can use pretty much any windscreen fluid.......Halfords, Tesco, Sainsbury's, etc etc.

But I also do a Rain-X treatment every 2 months as well.....helps make the water bead off as you drive along.

I've been using rain x for years now but found if you dont put it in right it smears on every wipe. I had to buy some rain x remover to sort it. Someone also told me certain washer fluids can react with it and cause more issues. Trial and error I guess!

I just use water with a table spoon of dishwasher rinse aid (non-corrosive detergent), a teaspoon of cheap supermarket own-brand disinfectant (kills algae and prevents slime build up in the tank). Works great.

In winter, instead of water use a mixture of water and ethanol. You can buy pure ethanol cheaply from B&Q - I think it's about £2 a litre.

1 litre of ethanol in 5 litres of mix will prevent freezing down to about -11 C. 2 litres in 5 litres will see you to -27 C. Plus it cleans and degreases the glass very nicely.

If you prefer to use a pre-prepared screenwash solution (they're all much the same), then you can add a bit of ethanol to give it freeze protection.

Guest bigbullhead

Does anyone else get a smelly odour when you use the screen washer as I do and o have rinsed the bottle 3-4 times and to no avail does anyone have any ideas how to to sort this problem out is there something I can add when cleaning I don't want to add bleach just in case there are seals that will perish

Does anyone else get a smelly odour when you use the screen washer as I do and o have rinsed the bottle 3-4 times and to no avail does anyone have any ideas how to to sort this problem out is there something I can add when cleaning I don't want to add bleach just in case there are seals that will perish

Ive had that issue on a car I had in the past, still to this day i dont know what it was. In the end I put some of that girly pink cherry screenwash through to try and help combat the smell. it worked for a while till the smell of that started wearing out.!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links