Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking Of Buying An Rx400H

Hello all, newbie here thinking of buying an Rx400h, around 2006-2007 reg.

I've read a few other similar topics but just need confirmation of a points please.

Most of my driving is stop/start in South London with all it's speed humps, and knowing that the engine runs on electric at lower speeds is it really possible to achieve mpg figures of around 30? I currently drive a BMW 118i auto and just about get 20mpg so anything is an improvement.

Some websites show it to be insurance group 26-28, others say 16-17, do you know which is correct, or closest?

I'm not mechanically minded at all so for peace of mind would be buying from Lexus under the approved used scheme, a few on there have got mileages of 80-90k, are these engines really so bullet-proof that buying with high mileage is no problem?

Thanks for reading and for any advice.

Hello, regardless of what insurance group the vehicle is, the bottom line will be how much you have to pay. I went to the price comparison websites for my estimate.

With regards to MPG, you should easily achieve 30 in the type scenario you describe.

My RX has over 80k and is so smooooth to drive. Just ensure you purchase one that has been cherished. I viewed quite a few privately prior to purchasing, and I can say from experience that not all had been looked after.

Thanks for the reply, that mpg figure is amazing, I've been looking at all sorts of SUVs and whether petrol or diesel they show about 20--22mpg in town, and thats the official figures, so real mpg will be even lower, its the urban mpg that first got me thinking about the 400h.

Hi,

Had my RX just over a year now and still love it !!

I drive mostly city roads around Sheffield with occasional run into country.

I find in the summer I get around 32mpg and winter 24mpg.

I think for a luxury SUV this is excellent.

Go ahead and treat yourself....

Just to add to that - mine was getting 30mpg in lots of slow, rush hour traffic. With the temperature dropping, so is the mpg (because the engine stays on for longer to keep it's temperature up) - down to 28mpg now.

However, if fuel economy is that important to you, why not just get a smaller, petrol-engined car (don't get diesel - as you've found, they're rubbish for short trips)? I can understand wanting some luxury so maybe consider a smaller Lexus (IS250) or another BMW (318 petrol).

Don't get me wrong, the RX is a GREAT car but it's never going to be as good on the go juice as a smaller, lighter car.

(I've got my Lexus because I tow a caravan and need the weight, in case you ask :shifty: )

Also, don't worry too much about mileage (mine has 105k miles) - just make sure it has a decent service history. High miles often means it has spent it's life on a motorway, which is a much less stressful place for a car than town.

Nelmo, the 28-30mpg you're getting in your RX is still way better than the mpg I'm getting in my 118i, I put £30 in at a time and I'm just about getting 120 miles out of it. At a fiver a gallon thats about 20mpg. I know its an auto and its city driving but even so! I had the 118d beforehand and that was about the same.

Main reason for wanting an SUV is I had a Shogun a few years back (3.0 petrol auto about 12mpg so it had to go) and I love the high up driving position, and the fact on south London's narrow backstreets most other drivers when they see an SUV heading towards them they tend to let you through lol.

Good to know the mileage isn't a problem, I think the Lexus Approved Used all have service history anyway.

Urban traffic is where hybrids come to their own. You will get better MPH in town than on the m-way where you have to rely more on the petrol engine.

Don't worry to much about the mileage, but check that the cambelt has been changed if around 100k. Or ask for it to be changed as a condition of buying.

Also check whether or not the car is subject to the current recall - see other threads on this.

Personally, I would buy from dealer, even if it means higher miles and a slightly older car.

Thanks for your reply Dan, 90% of my driving is in town so def sounds like Hybrid is the way to go.

Yep i've seen the threads about the recalls, didn't know about the cambelts though so thats good to know when I go out to see some.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links