Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Gear Change Resistance From 1St To 2Nd On Is200Se

emissary

Hi Everyone,

I am now the proud owner of my second IS200SE, which is on an 05 plate and fully loaded with all the trimmings. It is fair to say not even this hurricane St Jude will stop me driving it today...ahem. :)

It has been years since I was on here but the credit crunch of 2008 necessitated that I sell my last Lexus due to financial circumstances, so now I got another one!

Anyway I am hoping someone can help me with some quick questions.

1.) The car itself is pretty much in excellent mint condition, I was lucky! However, when I start up in the morning and change from 1st to 2nd gear, there is a bit of hesitancy, like a bit of a clunk, but it does get in to 2nd. As the car is driven throughout the day the problem is not as bad.

My friend suggested this could be something to do with Synchromesh. A quick Google also suggested that using the following oil would help to rectify the problem:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1020-red-line-synthetic-manual-transmission-90-mt90-75w-90-gl4.aspx

I also read that Lexus acknowledge this issue as a 'feature' but yet other owners of IS200s do not experience it at all.

2.) I rang Lexus and provided my reg number. I wanted to know if my IS has LSD or not? Can it be determined just from the reg number or do you need the VIN number? Also do I need to change the oild for the LSD or will the same oil I use for my gearbox via the above link be ok to use aswell?

Thanks to anyone who helps, I have done some research but given the time I have been away, I am not sure if the oil for the gearbox is the best, there might be something better out there.

Cheers,

emissary

hi,I stand to be corrected but believe only the sports models had the LSD,oil is the same for both gear box and lsd, changing your gear box oil might also help get rid of the clunkiness.

hi,I stand to be corrected but believe only the sports models had the LSD,oil is the same for both gear box and lsd, changing your gear box oil might also help get rid of the clunkiness.

Thanks scudney,

I have just been advised by Lexus that it does NOT have LSD, so at least I know now.

However, I guess the oil is now my next move.

Thanks for your input.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links