Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dreaded Starter Problem?

What I was dreading has just happened. I think the starter is beginning to fail on my Mk 4. I turned the key twice to start it and absolutely nothing happened, not even a click. On the third turn it started beautifully. It started fine on the return journey too. The car has done 120K so I was expecting this to happen at some time in the next couple of years. I was hoping that when it failed it would be in the summer so I could do the replacement myself. I don't have a suitable garage in which to undertake the job, so now the weather has changed, it looks like I'll have to shell out some hard earned cash.

The Battery tests fine and doesn't lose charge and is less than 2 years old. I don't think it's the starter relay or inhibitor switch either, but you never know. Also, if it is the starter, I think I will just get the solenoid and contacts changed "in situ" rather than exchange the unit as the Denso starters are known to be very robust. I'll contact the chap who installed my l.p.g. and see if he can help. Meanwhile, I don't trust the car in this state, as I could easily end up stranded.

One annoying thing- why are we being charged DOUBLE the price for a replacement starter here compared to the States? Rip-off Britain or what? Anyone had the job done to their satisfaction?

What I was dreading has just happened. I think the starter is beginning to fail on my Mk 4. I turned the key twice to start it and absolutely nothing happened, not even a click. On the third turn it started beautifully. It started fine on the return journey too. The car has done 120K so I was expecting this to happen at some time in the next couple of years. I was hoping that when it failed it would be in the summer so I could do the replacement myself. I don't have a suitable garage in which to undertake the job, so now the weather has changed, it looks like I'll have to shell out some hard earned cash.

The battery tests fine and doesn't lose charge and is less than 2 years old. I don't think it's the starter relay or inhibitor switch either, but you never know. Also, if it is the starter, I think I will just get the solenoid and contacts changed "in situ" rather than exchange the unit as the Denso starters are known to be very robust. I'll contact the chap who installed my l.p.g. and see if he can help. Meanwhile, I don't trust the car in this state, as I could easily end up stranded.

One annoying thing- why are we being charged DOUBLE the price for a replacement starter here compared to the States? Rip-off Britain or what? Anyone had the job done to their satisfaction?

The one on mine was done at 136k on mine, It was owned by a mechanic mate of mine. He got it done by a company here while he was in he asked how much would they recon it remove & fit it for. They quoted him £100 so he let them do it , I don't think they will do another one for that sum some how.

• Like 1

Had the starter contact problem, been there, I'm surprised you're not hearing a click, are you on a noisy street?

Once the engine warms up, it's usually ok. My problem was always with the first cold start of the day, so I wasn't to worried about getting stranded during the day. I left it untill it sometimes took 10 tries to get started, but this is bad for the starter

I changed the contacts myself, in decent weather under a covered drive, it;s not a side of the road job.

I did it with the starter in place, a very fiddly job, for the simple reason I didn't have the right socket set or curved spanner to get the sodding thing out.

The contacts were badly worn and I haven't has any bother with it since- 6 months

The battery tests fine and doesn't lose charge and is less than 2 years old. I don't think it's the starter relay or inhibitor switch either, but you never know. Also, if it is the starter, I think I will just get the solenoid and contacts changed "in situ" rather than exchange the unit as the Denso starters are known to be very robust. I'll contact the chap who installed my l.p.g. and see if he can help. Meanwhile, I don't trust the car in this state, as I could easily end up stranded.

The one on mine was done at 136k on mine, It was owned by a mechanic mate of mine. He got it done by a company here while he was in he asked how much would they recon it remove & fit it for. They quoted him £100 so he let them do it , I don't think they will do another one for that sum some how.

I bet they won't ....

Does anyone have a link for the kit to re-con it as I am planning a Eurotrip at Christmas and I can't get stranded for longer than a few days without my car

I was just going to buy the kit to keep in the boot as a just-incase.

Just to save on the time it will be laid up if and when this happens.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links