Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential New Is250 Owner With Questions.....

Hi guys....

I've just joined up on here and am looking to buy my first lexus just after xmas (IS250). My 59 plate accord es gt 2.0 petrol is sold (i was pretty dissappointed in it really!) and when all is said and done i'll have a fairly modest budget of around £10k to spend.

So.... looking around this will get me a 2008 SE-L with all the toys in, i've actually found one with just 20,000 miles on and its pristine!, but i have a few questions...

1.is it definately worth going for one with the multimedia pack in?, how good is the sat nav?

2. i'm struggling to see what the differences are between the models, is the SE-L the top one?

3. If i end up going for one with say 50k miles on, will this be an issue?, what is considered high mileage on these?

4.I definately want an auto, what are people getting in terms of mpg?

Recently i went to lexus wolverhampton and drove a 08 is250 SE-L and fell in love within 5 miles of the test drive, jumped back into the accord and felt thoroughly down in the dumps with the thing (even more so than before) the lexus was just that good!. Anyway, sorry for all the questions but thanks in advance for any help.

1 and 2, Sorry cant help as I dont have those options.

3. Mine which I just got has 85K miles and pulls as strongly as a new car. Previously I had a Lexus 4 litre GS that had 187k miles on it and when I changed and it pulled and performed like a new car. I certainly believe Lexus is one of those cars that mileage isnt an issue with the huge caveat that it must have been regularly serviced.

4. I am now getting 32mpg on my IS250. On a run recently of 70 miles round trip on A roads (so 40-50mph most the way) I got 36mpg. Lexus are not economical cars, but for myself 32mpg is ok. I would never, ever have another manual, in fact havent had one since 1983! The auto box on the IS is a thing of joy, the absolute best part of the car, and you have the S and paddles should you wish to spend some time in manual anyway. So, my opinion is Auto all the way on the IS250.

SE-L with Multimedia is the one to go for. The SE-L is the top of the range and is rarer than the other more common SE models.The Multimedia pack was around £3,000 extra from new and adds upgraded audio system (DVD and extra speakers) sat-nav, Bluetooth, and reversing camera so well worth it when purchasing second hand. The SE-L from memory gives Walnut inlays, memory seats, Dipping mirrors, heated/cooled seats but plenty of other threads in here detailing the differences. 50K is nothing on these cars 100K plus then expect price drops as exhausts etc may start to need replacing (expensive to replace), but still 100K is fine. Auto is always the way to go on these cars as the tax is cheaper! plus the auto box is fantastic.As Creo states expect 30's on local runs and 35 plus on runs (not the car to get if mpg is important). Hope that helps.

Go for an auto - as Creo says, they are a thing of joy and certainly the very best out of the very many I have driven. Contrary to perceived wisdom, the auto is actually more economical than the manual and my experience of mpg is pretty consistent with Creo. I had a 2009 SEL and I am pretty sure that it was top of the range (I can't imagine that my wife would have settled for anything less). It had the MM system with Mark Levison sound, and it was very good. The satnav got me to Venice and back a couple of years ago and was flawless in its instructions. The limitation is that it will not accept a full UK post code but, otherwise it was excellent. Bear in mind that it was only relatively recently that Lexus sold their IS series cars with an up-to-date satnav database so, unless the car you buy has had its satnav updated, the database may be a good few years old. However, that kind of criticism can probably be levelled equally well at any used car or older TomTom, Garvin etc. 50k miles should be well within the capability of a 2.5 litre V-6, particularly as automatics are rather more resistant to abuse or ineptitude than manuals (hands up all those who have never graunched gears or let the clutch in a bit too fast!). I doubt that Lexus IS250's appeal very much to boy racers and they probably are not popular as rep-mobiles so 50k is no problem in my view.

Buy one, buy one now!

I bought an '07 250 auto 2 months ago and I'm truly truly impressed. It's the SE-L with Mark Levison hardware and multimedia pack... It's the dogs danglies!

The auto box is pretty damn smooth and mpg as mentioned is in the early 30's if you're not thrashing it.

It's a pretty heavy motor, just over 2 ton... And it feels very solid.

I honestly thought the sat nav and reverse camera were just an added bonus, however I use both every day without fail and am SO glad I grabbed the SE-L when I did.

The SE-L also has the Xenon lights along with other upgrades so well worth it... And will make it easier to sell on I would guess.

Oh, mine has 92k on the clock with full lexus history and it drives like it's been sat in a showroom since new... It really does feel that good! Just to note, my last couple of cars have been a Mercedes C class and Jaguar x-type... Neither felt as good to drive or own....

So.. As I said... Go buy one! ;-)

I have a 2007 SE with the MM pack and to answer your points:

1.is it definately worth going for one with the multimedia pack in?, how good is the sat nav?

Absolutely no brainer. The sound system is brilliant and the use of the rear camera (especially in winter) is very useful.

The Sat Nav is OK but I have found issues in the area I live with it just no recognising certain motorway junctions. Another local owner of an RX said his was the same.

2. i'm struggling to see what the differences are between the models, is the SE-L the top one?

Can't really help but since I did not like shiny wooden inlays I opted out of the SE-L

3. If i end up going for one with say 50k miles on, will this be an issue?, what is considered high mileage on these?

Do your normal checks and I guess the alloys will be very poor at that mileage. Get them swapped. Water pumps go at around 60-70K so listen for a rumble from the front of the engine around the pulley area.

4.I definately want an auto, what are people getting in terms of mpg?

Auto is again a no brainer. Test drive both back to back and you'll be converted for sure. MPG I think I have averaged just over 31mpg over the 40K I have driven and on runs I have had a tank average of over 40mpg.

Hope that helps and buy one. You will enjoy it for sure. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

As per the previous comments the multimedia pack is excellent, especially if you get one with the Mark Levinson sound system.

the reverse camera is also good because the back of the car does slope up a bit and it could catch you out if you were not paying attention.

I have the manual IS250 SE and to be honest I find that gearbox excelllent, however I have never driven the auto so am happy to accept the comments that it is better.

A lot of the SE have a very high spec and I think the only think my car may not have is memory seats and automatic window wipers. It does have full leather seats (heated and cooled), multimedia sat nav with mark levinson audio, sunroof, Xenon headlghts (automatic), reversing camera, Bluetooth and voice commands.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links