Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter Tyres

alphacat

I think winter tyres are a big con job in the Uk. Sure in Europe (wherever that is)they can be useful but in the UK ? I don't think so.

Most of the time if you replace ordinary premium tyres with winter tyres you will be on the wrong tyre (least effective for the conditions)for most of the winter.. All we need in the UK is for the prevailing wind to recover and temperatures and condition's change very quickly.

Most winters if we do get snow it lasts not more than a few weeks at a time. Sure in some years we have had it longer but that's not the norm over the last 20 years. I know winter tyres (as they are called) are marketed as if the do the job in all weathers but of course they don't (they cant) if you take performance into account its even worse. Chances are if there is no snow and even in the wet driving at any speed on winter tyres will mean driving with less grip.

Last year as I understand it for where I live you would have had to change tyres at least twice in 2 months to be effective. Winter tyres wouldn't be worth considering for at least 9 months of the year.

So when did you put yours on?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't take the Lexus out in ice/snow, so there would be no point. My wife's Rav4 does the dirty stuff :)

The Lexus is quite fun in the snow.. It has a snow button.. What else do you need..??

Seems the Rav 4 will be in the garage all winter as we don't seem to have snow, just water and the Lexus once again comes through it was designed with the lines of a boat.

Then again winter isn't over. There may still be time to put on snow tyres.

In fact I do similar to you in any real iffy weather I use our X type jag (its nominally my wifes) but it has a very effective 4 wheel drive system and that's want you need in snow not winter tyres.

These days you can buy a jag x type for the price of some winter tyres and just use it when its needed!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links