Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Top Gear.......new Low?

mikeyv

The original TG was a sensible car show and it was crap. Most of 5th Gear is rubbish - who wants to see dry reviews of the latest Golf? Buy What Car magazine for that...

Some of the stuff is ocassionally crud but the vast majority is superb, IMO. I was wetting myself at the supermarket bit . Yes, of course its scripted and staged and I doubt anyone in their right mind is thick enough to base a car-buying decision on anything they say. But as entertainment, its original, escapist and involves petrol - what more could you want?

What? i watch many many car reviews that are entertaining done by presenters that have a clue. I havent watched it for years, i was watching it when they were making that transition from serious to entertainment and WAS been taken seriously by many. like i said they should of changed the name, even the magazine is called top gear magazine full of so called reviews and verdicts

Entertaining? Are you sure?

In the interests of fairness, I just watched a review on YouTube of a Golf. It was very informative, the presenter was perfectly watchable (and it was only 7 mins long) BUT if it had been on TV, I would have switched it off after 30 seconds (unless I happened to be considering buying a Golf).

Bog standard cars are just not interesting, even to a petrol head (which I consider myself to be).

You cannot make a successful TV program based on car reviews of sensible cars - TG know this and have changed accordingly (and very successfully). There may be 30 million cars on the road but only a small minority of those owners actually CARE about their car enough to maybe get interested in a pure car program.

Your missing the point. I haven't actually watched a golf review as like you im not buying one but i meant in general and yes are very entertaining at the same time as being a great review on a car or sometimes not, just having a laugh without doing a review....some even have a similar format to TG and you know what the difference is? The presenters dont lie, arent biased, dont mis informed or get facts and figures wrong not to mention have a clue how a engine works. What put me off watching it a year or two ago is i counted five mistakes in a hour duration. Not on in my book entertainment or not. I actually love the stuff they do all they have to do is get some presenters that are passionate and knowledgeable about cars and it will be a great show

Tg has gone from being an informative and good car show to half this and half entertainment to full on entertainment.

It seems that those who remember the early days dislike the new format. Those who didn't really watch the early series like the new format. Personally I hate the scripted crap they run. When the genuinely mess up and things to wrong it's great bit scripting it is often painful to watch.

Stu

I watched the early series and now watch the new style format. If TG were still using the old format I can guarantee it would of been axed a long time ago, times have changed and you can now find your average road car review on the net. Why would you prefer to watch mundane reviews of your everyday road cars on TV for an hour!

The programme is meant to be funny, silly and an hour to get away from boring TV. Ok it may be scripted in parts, but if you think like that you're probably that person that annoyingly sits there watching a movie saying. Oh as if that would happen! Why on earth would you do that! That wouldn't happen in real life and so on...

Watch the programme for what it is, don't like it don't watch it it's very simple.

As for the stunts they performed during Sundays episode, if my son even attempted something like that I would assume he isn't even mature and sensible enough to even drive your boring everyday road car! Even if the law permits it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links