Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Considering Is-F

Im considering a ISF as a new toy and I must admit Im very ignorant to the car. So a few newbie questions:

What are the model year differences

How does the gearbox work

Must have options

Any reliability issues (might be a silly question considering its Lexus)

Anything else worth knowing

Cheers

Hello mate and welcome to the forum.

I was in a similar position not knowing too much about the IS-F but I set my heart on one as I had owned other Lexus before and really like the look of the F.

There are only two model years but the car itself is effectively the same (ie not a change in Mk number). After 2010 slightly softer suspension was fitted along with an uprated differential. Other tweeks included zenons, blue stitched steering wheel and a blue paint option.

There are very few kit options as the F basically comes with the same level of kit as the fully spammed up SE-L version of the 250. That said a sunroof was an option and some owners also had iPod connectors fitted as well. The standard option list embarrasses anything from Germany; they include radar guided cruise control, auto lights/wipers, cd/DVD player attached to an amazing Mark Levenson 13-speaker stereo, pre-crash protection, heated memory seats that are linked to the key fobs along with the position of the steering column and the wing mirrors.

In terms of what they are like.....well, I think they are simply amazing (and I have owned all kinds of stuff from evos to an NSX). Yes, the ride is firm but it isn't crashy like you get with a hot hatch. The real jewel with the F is the engine: it is so easy to get what you want out of it, whether you want to potter around town or go for a hoon. Once the second inlet opens at 3600rpm, it turns into a proper snarling V8 which is so addictive when the mood takes you. The gearbox is quite brilliant as well being a conventional auto (rather than a DSG) but the shifts are lightning fast (10th of a second I believe) and very smooth. Seventh and eighth gears are really for economy - this is another aspect of the car that is without equal. I have had mid 30s to the gallon on a few occasions (long runs at 70mph) and mid 20s are common when pottering.

I did loads of research before I bought mine and I would urge you to look at the American ISF forum. There are quite a lot of these in the US and I was genuinely shocked as I trawled page after page of threads only to find owners only ever experienced niff-naff and trivia issues with them. Water pumps have been known to leak but they are not big bucks to fix. Some people have had issues with the media system (which isn't cheap) but it's by no means common. Compared to the M3, RS4 and C63 forums, which are littered with some truly horrific horror stories, the ISF community just seem to chat about how good they are, how fast they are, and which exhaust to fit!

Running costs are not too silly: ~£300 for an annual service but the 6-year service costs ~£800 without haggling (I'm getting mine done for £600 as Lexus dealers like to price match each other!). Tyres will be approx £1000 for a full set and brake pads and discs are expensive too (brembo) but much cheaper alternatives are available if you search the forum. Unless you track it, tyres and brakes are surprisingly hard-wearing - I remember reading one of the long-term testers getting 20k miles out of their tyres and pads!

These cars have all the hallmarks of future classics; they are staggeringly reliable, (properly) quick, look fantastic and, most importantly, are very rare (just over 200 in the UK). With this in mind you will have to travel to find one but I would like to think that the majority have been well looked after. Either way, good luck if you do aim to get one and keep us all informed with your progress!

What he said! Lol. Although it is a 14 speaker system ;)

Most if not all isf owners will have the same story. Looked at m3, m5, c63amg, xfr etc... Ultimately we all went with the isf as real world performance is pretty much the same, spec is far superior, running costs are reasonable, mpg is good, depreciation is on par with it better etc.

Do it... You know it makes sense.

Stu

Thanks for taking the time to reply lads. A few more points/questions:

1. From when in 2010 was the new differential introduce? I read earlier cars didn't have diff at all?

2. What are the tell tale signs of "face lift"? i.e the blue part on steering wheel?

3. It would seem there's a few for sale in the Ultra Blue metallic - is this a desirable colour? Resale wise - good / bad / neither

4. Is the bodywork /seats etc just the same on 'face lift'?

5. Comfort wise it sounds like a fair compromise which is good as I'd hope to use it for all sorts - sunday hoon / road trip / dinner etc

6. The engine note is very appealing to me. I LOVE induction noise and it seems theres plenty of it with the isf - though not heard or seen in flesh.

7. Exhaust note - whats this like in flesh? I have experience with C63 and e92 M3's so a comparison would be good. Does it need cat deletes etc?

8. Gearbox - did a little reading on that last night and it would seem its a torque convertor with a clutch. The closest thing Ive probably driven with something like that was the C63 Coupe and it was pretty good but not excellent. I found it better than a normal sludgey auto box but not as lighten quick as a DCT (double clutch). It tended to change up quick and slower on down - but a little annoying in the delay between pressing the paddle and it actually changing mechanically. My favourite automated box is the SMG in the BMWs and F1 in Ferrari (single automated clutch). They do what you want exactly when you want. A little unrefined however I liked that cos you felt what they were doing.

9. Fuelling costs don't concern me but its nice to hear its reasonable and good to hear servicing isn't silly.

Id like to buy and sell privately. What should I expect to pay for:

2008, 40-50k miles

2010, 30-40k miles

and a year down the line with an extra 6k miles what should it sell for (get your crystal balls out..) and do they sell easy.

Thats all for now but there will be more!

Cheers

Also, what are these wheels as they seem different from the norm

2010-lexus-IS-F-wheels.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to reply lads. A few more points/questions:

1. From when in 2010 was the new differential introduce? I read earlier cars didn't have diff at all? - they do it is electronic not mechanical.

2. What are the tell tale signs of "face lift"? i.e the blue part on steering wheel? - that's pretty much it I think!

3. It would seem there's a few for sale in the Ultra Blue metallic - is this a desirable colour? Resale wise - good / bad / neither - generally black, silver and grey sell better I imagine but the cars are rare so can't see it effecting resale.

4. Is the bodywork /seats etc just the same on 'face lift'? - yes

5. Comfort wise it sounds like a fair compromise which is good as I'd hope to use it for all sorts - sunday hoon / road trip / dinner etc

6. The engine note is very appealing to me. I LOVE induction noise and it seems theres plenty of it with the isf - though not heard or seen in flesh. - engine note is amazing and the second stage intake sound is additictive.

7. Exhaust note - whats this like in flesh? I have experience with C63 and e92 M3's so a comparison would be good. Does it need cat deletes etc? - engine note is lovely but exhaust was too quiet for me so I had a catback system put on. Stock is nothing like c63. Look at my thread in the isf section.

8. Gearbox - did a little reading on that last night and it would seem its a torque convertor with a clutch. The closest thing Ive probably driven with something like that was the C63 Coupe and it was pretty good but not excellent. I found it better than a normal sludgey auto box but not as lighten quick as a DCT (double clutch). It tended to change up quick and slower on down - but a little annoying in the delay between pressing the paddle and it actually changing mechanically. My favourite automated box is the SMG in the BMWs and F1 in Ferrari (single automated clutch). They do what you want exactly when you want. A little unrefined however I liked that cos you felt what they were doing.

9. Fuelling costs don't concern me but its nice to hear its reasonable and good to hear servicing isn't silly.

Id like to buy and sell privately. What should I expect to pay for:

2008, 40-50k miles

2010, 30-40k miles

and a year down the line with an extra 6k miles what should it sell for (get your crystal balls out..) and do they sell easy. - 1 year?? Lol change a lot do you. I imagine you will get pretty much what you pay for it.

Thats all for now but there will be more!

Cheers

Also, what are these wheels as they seem different from the norm

2010-lexus-IS-F-wheels.jpg

Some comments above fella.

If you want to buy private there's a 2010 plate for sale right now for £21k....that's a bargain. 40-50k pre-2010 cars will cost around the £20k mark give or take a grand. I don't think you will lose much money in the next year (or even 2/3 for that matter).

What's your car history?

The wheels shown are the facelift version I believe? Came on post 2010 models.

2008 with the mileage you suggest range between £18-22K.

You should get most of it back in a years time I'd imagine. Cheapest non-accident cars are still £16-17K.

Facelift also have DRL's (daytime running lights), and the white leather interior. Main gains are the mechanical diff, and softer suspension. I don't find the ride on my 2008 model that bad though? May be changing to KW V3 coilovers at some point. These seem to be the favourite choice over in the US.

You could also fit a Quaife LSD I would imagine? Would make it almost identical to the facelift for less money?

Just a thought. :)

Let us know if you have any other questions fella.

Cheers.

Peter

For the quality of car u get for 20 grand it's a bargain I think

Agreed. Nothing else in that price range that competes with these in my opinion.

Certainly more exclusive than your M3's, 911's etc.

Although we moan about the servicing costs from Lexus, still a darn sight cheaper to run than a lot of others.

Let us know if you have any other questions chap.

Cheers.

Peter :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links