Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Automatic Steering Wheel

according to the ls430 handbook the auto raising of the steering wheel when leaving the car can be disabled by a lexus dealer.

does anybody know how to do this without going to the dealer?

just thought that it would prolong the life of the motors without it.

I don't think you can disable it - someone mentioned that the very early 1990/1992 LS400 had a button but all the other subsequent 400 and 430 models do not have a tilt disable button - mines 04 plate with 115k miles on the clock and is still working fine (touchwood).

HTH

Couldn't you just set it to where you want and then cut the live to the motors ????

I guess you could but how would you get the cowlings off and back on again without moving the steering wheel up and down during the process?

How I would do it would be to cut the live wire and solder in a long length of wire that I could neatly hide behind all of the covers, I would hide a stealth switch inside the centre cubby out of the way so that I could enable the power or disable it whenever I want.

So the power would get to it when I am putting it back together so I can move the wheel around to put the cowling back on and then I would flick the switch to disable it once I am happy with the position of the steering wheel

On my '04 ls430, the up motion on the steering stopped at about 235,000 miles , in , out was fine and down ( but was possibly a switch problem ). Don't see the point of disabling it ," to save the motor " saving it from what ? just use and enjoy it and if it fails worry anout it then.......it might never fail

that is a fair point , although , is there a risk that they could unknowingly seize up through lack of use ? ...I imagine that the dealer aspect of disabling it , could be them plugging it into their Lexus systems to do it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links