Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Door Lock Diagnosis

Hello there gentleman, I was after a diagnosis from you, or the closest you could come over the internet anyway :)

I just bought a beautiful IS200 Sport in blue, I love the car but the car door locking mechanism seems to be sluggish and not working properly.

I can use the key to unlock and lock the drivers door, but it doesn't lock all the other doors when I do it and there is no audible sound, the key moves in the lock sluggishly when I turn it and then the door is locked.

I have the three key master key, the buttons work, I press them and the red light comes on but nothing happens with the locks, so only key locking and sluggish key locking at that.

What should I be troubleshooting here first ? Is it a fuse somewhere do you think or indicative of a more serious locking issue ?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to consider my issue !

There is a proceedure for programming the remote locking maybe worth a try.

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times.(Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON", turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door lock do not cycle (lock, unlock) by themselves then the car isn't in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remove. Press and hold Lock and Unlock button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the Lock button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT. The locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.

IF the locks cycle TWICE it have failed.

The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn't receive a good signal from the remove. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing step 8 and 9. 2) Don't hold the remove buttons down as long.

As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying step 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.

After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.

10) Close and open door to end programming procedure.
  • Like 1

Hi do all 3 keys start your car?3 master keys?usually 2 masters (black) and 1 grey.chances are they haven't been programmed to work the central locking,was going to put guide up but beaten to it.

Or the problem could be the drivers door lock module, If the motor is faulty in drivers door central locking won;t work either with key or remote.

• Like 1

Ok, I have some good pointers here gentlemen, many thanks.

Steve, I appreciate the quite detailed remote locking programming guide, I shall attempt the manoeuvre and report back with my findings.

Ian, I suspect you are correct, a malfunctioning central drivers door motor seems to be the likely culprit here, it would explain the sluggishness and silence of the key opening the lock and why the central locking does not work.

I wanted to add that I only had one key with the car, the master which was broken and superglued back together. I have purchased two new blanks with empty innards and a second genuine Lexus 3 button key with innards to reprogram, leaving me with two working three button keys.

I see the new central locking motors are only twenty quid on eBay, seems like an easy fix if it is a hardware failure.

Bit by bit, I shall restore my beautiful Lexus to her former glory. I love these IS200's, its my third one and I much prefer them to the newer shaped models which seem to have not much of a personality.

Mine came with some (actually quite decent) third party alloys on her, so I just bought some newly refurbished genuine Lexus alloys to replace them and bring her back to where she would have been when she was new.

She has needed so far, front and rear brake pads (175 on ebay) a new passenger wing mirror and headlight (100 on ebay), two new internal ashtrays (40 on ebay), but other than that she is immaculate. Will post some pics.

I'm sorry Chris but you are wrong, the drivers door lock should operate all other doors.

See page 19 of this PDF.

It's for a 2002 is300 but is still same as our cars.My 98 gs300 operates same way as well.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM53423U/pdf/om1sourc/2002om/02is300w/11.pdf

It doesn't I swear. Locking with the actual key in the door doesn't central lock the other doors...Not on my 200 or my 300 or my mates jack who I'm with now 300. If you want to lock the car manually with the key you have to press the power lock button on the inside of the drivers door and then lock the drivers door with key.

I will go with you then Chris, As you know i don;t have an IS anymore and never tested it on my old one. I was just going on the manual...could be different in USA???

It could well be different in the US Ian. I've joined a few us forums since getting the 300 and I've noticed a few differences between our 300's and Americas 300's

I have as well, one example is the panic button on the key fob.

hi Lexus_pimp have you replaced the existing batteries in your keys with new ones? i experienced the same issue when i first got mine and even though the remote will light up when button is pressed, nothing happens. i decided to replace my remote Battery with new ones and it solved the problem. try this cheap option first and see how it goes. ps use branded batteries like , energiser, sony, samsung and the likes the last for years.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links