Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ipod Connector

Hi Guys,

I have just bought my first Lexus, an RX300 NAV on an 04 plate with 62000 miles in very nice condition. So far I love it, and I am still finding all the gadgets and switches and ploughing my way through the manuals. I have managed to turn off the seat belt warning gong as described on this site. Great site.

I have in the glove box, a cable with an older wide type ipod plug on it that fits my iPod Nano 2 (and my iPad 2 as it happens). When connected all I get is a hissing through the speakers. It is obviously connecting to what ever is behind the fascia but not playing. I do not know what box the cable goes into, and would not be happy taking the fascia off to look (I have seen the other postings about how to do this). I have 6 CD's in the CD player and when the Disc button is pressed and the iPod is connected the ipod seems not to show up in the radio display as a CD which is what I was maybe expecting.

How should I proceed to find out how to make the iPod play through the speakers?

Thanks for your help,

David D

Hi David. An iPod dock wasn't a standard fitting, a previous owner has had that installed. Without knowing what unit it is, it is difficult to advise.

Normally these devices appear to the system as a disc player. If you press the disc button twice, you may toggle passed the 6 CD changer to the iPod dock.

Will try that this evening, thanks Colin. Pushing Disc twice, never occured to me. All sugestions gratefully received,

Regards

David D

another thing to make sure is that the iPod is connected before you turn on the ignition. The two units I've used don't work correctly if you connect afterwards.

The units tend to work by presenting a playlist as a disc in a multi-changer. You need to make sure you have at least one playlist on your iPod and each playlist needs to have at least one track in it, otherwise again things get confused and don't work correctly.

Thanks again Colin, have always plugged the iPod in after the ignition was on so something else to try this evening. Full of Hope, Will try and make a playlist as well.

Regards

David D

Just another thought, should my iPAD with a playlist already in it, come up the same way as it is hoped my iPOD will ?

Regards

David D

OK Guys,

Connected my iPod and then turned on the ignition. The iPod showed it was connected, and was charging. However when I pushed Disc once or several times, nothing happened except the various discs in the unit played as usual, and there was no sign of an extra disc that might relate to the iPod, and I could not scroll to another screen.

This is probably just a quirk of the particular unit but not knowing what to try next is the problem. I don't suppose I am lucky enough to have one of those systems that come up on the screen, if so how do I get it there.

the Nav unit in your vehicle is too old is display anything from the iPod. The only thing that may work is CD/MD text which can show track name playing.

The fact that you couldn't do anything on the iPod means whatever unit you have is operating in a playlist mode rather than just on manual.

At least Colin it is being recognised. It is now just trying to get it to play. Any further suggestions ? I would expect someone out there to have a set up the same as mine, what ever that might be, so happy to try anything, or maybe be directed to a manual on line for an after market box that would give an insight as to what I am missing,

I have just spent an hour or so just pushing buttons. I plugged my iPAD in and selected music on it, and it came through the speakers in the car but the title and music came on in the FM section not the CD. it would play all my music without playlists and be controlled from the iPAD. When disconnected it took some time for the TP to search for the stations that were pre-set on the radio but after a minute or two they all came back. I can see no logic to this yet, and have no set proceedure for doing all this, but will experiment more. Would like to know what unit I have so maybe a manual exists

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links