Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Illuminated Sill's Install Guide-Isf 2008 Onwards

Hi i thought i'd put together this UK version of how to fit the illuminated sills in the ISF for those who wish to fit them themselves.

The ISF doesn't have the plug and play version of fitting the Illuminated sills, so a bit of wire splicing/tapping is required in order to make them work.

Materials required:

• Illuminated sills
  • Spare wire approximately 2 metres worth (any old insulated wire will do, i used speaker cable)
  • Multimeter
  • Wire cutters/splicers (also 4 x wire taps if this is the way you want to connect wires)
  • Insulating tape
  • Small screw driver

The passenger side and driver side differ slightly in the way you connect the wires as the driver side already has a connecter available just need a negative and the one that is in the connecter isn't connected to anything for some odd reason?

Passenger side

First off all you have to remove the front and rear door sills in order to be able to remove the B-pillar trim which are all held in by push connectors, just need to pull fairly hard directly away from car in order to remove them. We need to remove the B-pillar in order to access the wire loom for the 12v positive and negative. To get better access to trims and wires you might find it beneficial to move the front seat all the way forwards and at its highest setting.

14380353988_ac0bba3370_b.jpgDSC_1875 by simsimma4, on Flickr

14380287810_8b9f487bf2_b.jpgDSC_1876 by simsimma4, on Flickr

14543871506_f5bda4da81_b.jpgDSC_1877 by simsimma4, on Flickr

As you can see from the above pictures i have moved the seat belt out of harms way by hooking it around the front car seat. You need to remove the blue plastic cover by inserting a small screw driver into the cover gripers (the holes, 2 on the left side and 1 on the right side) and pulling the cover out, to reveal the wire loom in which we will tap the positive wire from. The negative wire will be tapped of the purple wire (which is used as the door switch). You can either tap the new wires direct from the visible wire using wire taps, or you can connect the new wires directly into the clips, i did the latter. But be careful when connecting the new wires not to expose the opposite end of the wires to any bodywork/or to each other as this will blow the rear door fuse and therefore not only will your rear door window not work but also the illuminated sills won't work. It would therefore be advisable to use a bit of insulating tape on opposite end of wire.

You may find it useful to use a multimeter to check which wire will provide the positive, however this usually is the bottom thick black wire on the connector. You also will have to have the front door open in order to check if wires are correct as we are using the door as the switch to give power.

14586934513_ea19129764_b.jpgDSC_1878 by simsimma4, on Flickr

14565157624_ec7c359232_b.jpgDSC_1879 by simsimma4, on Flickr

This is what the finished product looked like on mine.

14566835745_4d68b9647f_b.jpgDSC_1880 by simsimma4, on Flickr

And that is it, feed the new wires down and into the front sill location, you can put the blue cover back and B-pillar trim along with rear sill. The new wires can either be tapped straight into the illuminated sill wires or you can tap into the connector, i did the latter so if i ever wanted to remove it i can :) Then fit the sill on and job done for this side.

Driver side

This side is relatively simple as there is a connecter already in place, only thing is this connector doesn't have a connected negative, so a new one will have to be sourced from the door the door switch wire. Firstly remove the front and rear sills in order to remove the B-pillar. We need to tap off either the exposed white door switch wire or directly from the clip, again i did the latter.

14586932833_eba03f858d_b.jpgDSC_1882 by simsimma4, on Flickr

14380233799_1e515f1254_o.jpgDSC_1883 by simsimma4, on Flickr

This is what the finish product looked like on mine.

14563450771_50f58f43c5_o.jpgDSC_1884 by simsimma4, on Flickr

Once done feed the wire down and to the front sill connector and refit the B-pillar trim and rear sill. The other side of this new wire will be either tapped into the white wire going into connector or directly tapping into the connector, again i did the latter and then tape it all into place.

14380233339_092a89cbf5_o.jpgDSC_1885 by simsimma4, on Flickr

And that is it, connect the illuminated sill and enjoy the finished product! hope this helps out anyone thinking of doing the same to theirs.

Big thanks to Peter for allowing me to take pictures of me doing this to his car.

14297449509_ed1eea1833_b.jpgDSC_1851 by simsimma4, on Flickr

Nice one Sim. :)

I'm very pleased with my illuminated sills.

Makes another nice touch that should have been standard from Lexus in my opinion. Why they spec'd it for lesser models, but not their flagship M3, C63 AMG competitor I don't know! :(

Worth the money in my opinion.

Hopefully you'll get a nice contributor star for this Sim. :)

Must try and write up mine for the running lights, main beams & fogs soon!

Same for the rear LED reflectors.

Cheers.

Yeh I'm trying to figure that one out myself, or at least have it as optional extra. These little things just make the car that little bit more special.

Oh yeh you need to get onto those, I can see a lot of people would definitely be interested in doing those mods.

I'll upload your carbon pillars aswell soon. Pictures have come out quite good on them.

The carbon pillar trims do look the part in my opinion. I know some feel that using carbon can be a slippery slope, but I have plans for a few other carbon parts to tie in the look.

Hoping to have some shots of the refinished carbon rear armrest soon. Should be rather tasty I reckon! ;)

• 2 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very pleased with my illuminated sills.

Makes another nice touch that should have been standard from Lexus in my opinion. Why they spec'd it for lesser models, but not their flagship M3, C63 AMG competitor I don't know! :(

Worth the money in my opinion.

Hopefully you'll get a nice contributor star for this Sim. :)

Must try and write up mine for the running lights, main beams & fogs soon!

Same for the rear LED reflectors.

Cheers.

Would be great to see a detailed how to for the LED Reflectors, my friend has kindly ordered them for my Birthday (34 getting old) and it means delving into the scary task of removing the bumper I believe! If you have any info on this i'd appreciate it if you could post a how to or PM me what how you done it?

Thanks in advance,

John

• 9 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links