Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs 450H 60K Service + Heating Questions

Hi Guys,

I have 2006 GS 450h with 59,000 on the clock and it is soon due for major 60k service.

As previously mentioned I had an accident with the car and finally got it repaired - had to change all the front including lights, though no damage to engine or chassis or to anything mechanical in the car. Total bill was above 3k pounds, from which parts cost 2.8k, ouch.

The first questions is-

Today I collected the car and I was so happy, like the 2nd honey moon. However, what I noticed while driving it for some time is that when A/C is turned off, I can feel slight waves of heat (hot air) coming from the steering wheel rack, underneath it (the panels seems to be warmer than on passenger side) and ocassionally heat comes from blowers with A/C off. I would not say that it is very noticeable, but you can feel that the cabin gets slightly warmer and I can definitely feel it with my legs that slightly warm waves are around them. I can't recollect whether I had something like this before. Can someone confirm that they have the same in their car?

Is this normal?

Can it be that coolant levels are low? (checked on the dash temperature and it sits bang on in the middle)

Maybe radiators needs cleaning? (Will that be done during the major service?)

Can it be that there is something wrong with the hybrid system e.g. cooling mechanism or similar?

Can it be due to engine oil level? (I have checked at and the level is slightly above the lowest point. Also, the smell of the oil appeared to be a bit strong to my nose, like slightly burnt, or is this normal?)

Spark plugs are the cause?

Fuel or oil filter? (According to the on-board computer oil filter should be changed in ~ 1000 miles)

Could it be that something got damaged or improperly replaced during repair works by bodyshop?

The second question is-

As my car is due for major service, I have called the main dealer and got a quote of 675, which includes change of spark plugs.

Can you guys advise please on what should be done additionally during this service and should I change spark plugs with dealer or with independent? If it is independent, what type and where would I need to buy spark plugs and are there any good independent garages in the West Midlands area?

As always any advice is appreciated and I am glad that there is such place where people can help.

John.

UPD: I have also checked the popping out dash on the right hand side from the drivers seat, where all controls are for mirrors etc. and it feels warm i.e. is heating up. Also I have noticed slight electric buzzing sound whenever I dim the lighting, while the sound disappears when switched to max lighting.

Can someone please check that you have the same?

Sorry, can't help with the uneven heating from the steering area. I don't have my car with me at the moment, but I do not recall the pop-out controls for the mirrors, etc, to feel particularly warm either. :geek:

As for the 60k service, it's pretty much the full service that you see in your service handbook + spark plugs. The spark plugs are Denso FK20HBR11, such as these.

A reputable independent should be able to take on the 60k service. However, looking at the myriad of problems that you are facing, a Lexus dealer may be able to troubleshoot it better (just a guess). Plus they do a hybrid health check and give you a year's warranty on the Battery.

UPD2: Thanks for your input. I have checked around the car today again after about 1 hour drive and found out that apart from the above the area where PWR, SPORT SUSP etc buttons are it is quite warmed up too. In addition, when I have put my finger in the cigarette lighter compartment it felt quite hot, not burning, but close to it, although I have not used the lighter.

Could anyone please check in their cars whether they have the same? I do have a gut feeling that electrics are messed up in some way and the circuit is overheating or smthing.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links