Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 92 LS400 Has suddenly developed these symptoms. On taking out the key after driving the steering wheel didn't retract in, so I put the key back in, no dash,gearlever,rear lights. The only lights are headlights,no indicators,reversing or breaklights.Car started & drove, power steering was heavy, no central locking. If I try anything I can here a slight clicking.

Can anyone help

Thanks

Alan

Impossible to say for sure without having a look but if it was all ok whilst the engine was running and then immediately stopped working when the engine stopped, that probably means you were running off the alternator alone and the Battery was flat and not being charged by the alternator.

I went back out & tried it after about 1 hour, everything was ok.The same thing happened again tonight. At the weekend I had fitted a reversing aid from Argos £30, that is wired through one of the reversing lights, I unpluged it after the second time but is was still the same. The only thing is working is the front & interior lights.

Alan

I think I have found the problem, a large white square 120 amp fuse in the main fusebox had been broken & the wires were just touching. I can't get it out of the holder, should it just pull up or do all four come out as a unit.

Thanks

Alan :D

Unless one of the Club's electric ghuru's are online, I suggest a call to your local Lexus Garage is worth a try. Also a query to LOC US should produce some replies as they are on Thanksgiving weekend and I bet there are loads of bored LS400 owners online.

As far removing the fuse, it might be that its got itself welded in there - 120 amps is a big load and anything thats "broken" it musy be very close to a dead short. Suggest gentle persuasion and best of luck!

Nick

I think I have found the problem, a large white square 120 amp fuse in the main fusebox had been broken & the wires were just touching. I can't get it out of the holder, should it just pull up or do all four come out as a unit.

Thanks

There should be a fuse extractor amongst the fuses. Mine's in the engine bay fuse box. They just pull out.

Before replacing the fuse, find out why it blew in the first place.

Thanks

There should be a fuse extractor amongst the fuses. Mine's in the engine bay fuse box. They just pull out.

Before replacing the fuse, find out why it blew in the first place.

I don't think those little fuses extractors are meant for the big fuses. I would remove the Battery, then the fuse and check the resistance of the circuit to make sure you don't have a short.

If the fuse only has a crack in it rather than the link completly blown then there may not be a problem.

Yes, it only had a crack in it, it has been like that from when I bought the car. I will pull it with a pair of long nose pliers. The cold weather must have something to do with it, the bonnet landed on my head so I need struts, I know that on the US site there is a cheap way of getting them, does anyone know of a cheap supplier in the UK

Alan

I have changed the fuse ,it is a long job. The spades of the fuse are about 4" long, there are 2 8mm bolts holding it in which are hard to access, you have to unbolt the fusebox it'self & take plastic covers off .

Alan

• 4 years later...

Thanks

Hi Alan

Dont know if you are still a member!

But a big Thank you for your listing

Just bought an LS400 with Exactly the same electrical problems.

After reading your experiences , located the 120 amp fuse and replaced,

Everything working fine now

I dont know if it's a coincidence but the car is also fitted with after market reversing sensors [ genuine Toyota ]

Many Thanks

Benfur

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links