Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Questions From A Newbie Is200 Owner

Hi to everyone on the forum.

My name is Adrian and I picked up a V Reg Lexus IS200 (Auto) on Friday. As to be expected with an old car I have discovered a couple of issues and therefore would like to ask for advice in relation to them.

1. There is no locking wheel nut 'key' and the previous owner doesn't have it. I know many garages offer locking wheel nut removal via various methods but is there a way to get a 'key' via a dealer or can anyone on here help?

2. There is only 1 key with the car. I have ordered a key casing and key cut but obviously this won't have a transponder in it. Is there a way to get a spare transponder and have it coded without going to a main dealer. From previous experience with a Renault I had, getting a coded key from a dealer is very expensive indeed!

3. The car has driven great since I got it but today when I set off out in it, the car seemed to be initially lacking in power and the engine light flashed for about 20 seconds then went out and the car was fine from then on. Can this be put down to a misfire (maybe the cold?) or is this a possible indication that there may be an underlying problem and I need to get the codes read?

4. The radio works fine but the CD changer seems to be jammed and shows "Err 3". Rather than mess about trying to fix it I was thinking of buying a replacement unit. Can you just put any "double din" unit in its place or is it not that simple?

I will probably think of more questions over the next few days but if someone can help me out with some or all of these I will be very grateful :)

With regards question 1,do you have a service history book if yes the locking wheel nut number is usually written in it,you can then quote this number and get a replacement from Lexus

Question 2,yes you can a transponder and have it programmed without going to lexus

Question 4,yes you can replace you stereo with a double din one,hope this helps you.

• Like 1

With regards question 1,do you have a service history book if yes the locking wheel nut number is usually written in it,you can then quote this number and get a replacement from Lexus

Question 2,yes you can a transponder and have it programmed without going to lexus

Question 4,yes you can replace you stereo with a double din one,hope this helps you.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have a service history book. Do you think by taking it to my nearest dealer they would be able to help (and hopefully not charge the earth)?

I will try and track down a transponder on eBay then and then ask how!

Cheers. Hopefully someone can give me some advice about question 3 now too.

Question 3 read or have read the OBDII codes to see what is stored and go from there, ignition coils have been known to fail but don't guess that's the most expensive way of fixing any car :)

Any decent garage should be able to do it,doesn;t have to be Lexus.

Oh and welcome to the LOC :)

• Like 1

A further question regarding locking wheel nuts - Are original Lexus locking nuts the type with some kind of pattern on (like a star etc) or the 3 prong type?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links