Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sound Proofing

200h

has anyone had their ct sound proofed,i believe the newer ct's have better insulation and sound proofing than the older models

my main objetive is to reduce the engine noise when you put your foot down if it is possible

so any advice / help would be great even a company name who can supply the necessary parts

I have always preferred to hear the engine. They used to say that you could hear the clock ticking on a Rolls travelling at 70mph. I find it a bit un-nerving. However, Rolls Royces used to be so quiet because of the unstressed nature of the engine, the huge capacity, massively silenced exhaust system and of course, lots of sound deadening felt and very thick carpets. The little lexus engine will always get a bit stressed because it has to work comparatively hard, it is difficult to fit bigger silencers into your exhaust system without throwing the ECU out of kilter and so you are stuck with thicker carpets and more sound deadening felt.

On the plus side, the 1960s Rolls designers didn't used to have as much experience with silencing by body design as modern car manufacturers and used huge quantities of metal in order to dampen sound whereas modern manufacturers can design a body shell which is naturally more quiet and doesn't need so much sound deadening or outright bulky metal to keep the noise down.

difficult to know how much engine noise comes through the bulkhead and how much through the bonnet and windscreen. Very difficult to further soundproof the bulkhead as the whole dashboard would need to be removed. Adding extra insulation to the bonnet is much easier.

Products like dynamat / hoodliner are used mainly by audio installers but are useful just to make a vehicle less noisy.

just a thought but pulling trim off to add sound deadening can induce creaks and rattles. I'm of the opinion the volume increase when on full throttle is partially deliberate so you do it less saving fuel. The 2014 has a better sound due to the way they tweaked the ECU and CVT relationship but its still significant when on full throttle like all cars. I think part of the problem is the car is so quiet most of the time its more obvious in the CT.

The remapping of the CVT was really made to improve drivability and make the vehicle feel and sound more like a conventional vehicle rather than to actually reduce noise.

There were however 94 separate changes on the facelift CT just related to improving NVH. A new air intake, new engine mounts, new rear wheel liners, new front wing separators and thicker sound absorbers in the dashboard are some examples of changes made to reduce noise.

• 2 months later...

i have now completed some sound deadening in my ct and i am very happy with the results.

i bought the foam from http://www.easyfoam.co.uk/foam-sheets.php

and purchased 6mm fireseal class 0 acoustic foam sheets for under the bonnet

and 6mm acoustic foam flat sheets for behind the door panels and to line the boot floor and tailgate.

the under bonnet sheets have reduced the harshness of the engine and makes it sound more normal

when accelerating ,i have placed it under the original bonnet sound proofing so it still looks standard.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links