Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possible 'battery On The Way Out' Thread

Need some advice about my Battery. Just before Christmas the car wouldn't start and seemed to just 'catch' when the start button was depressed. I stopped pressing it and tried straight away and it started without fuss. Didn't think much of it as it was pretty cold and only happened once.

My car is booked in for a service on the 17th of Feb and I have asked them to do a Battery check on it. I have noticed that the Battery level indicator is all over the place...sometime above the centre level and sometimes below.

Today I noticed that my clock was half an hour slow and am guessing that it's a Battery issue. The Battery will be 4 years old at the service and I'm guessing the cost if replaced will be over £100 as my IS250 had to have it replaced last year.

Does this sound like a simple Battery problem?

Sorry I can't help but what is the correct/normal level for the Battery indicator? I have noticed in the recent cold weather it can read one above centre initially then drops to the centre bar after a while.

Sorry I can't help but what is the correct/normal level for the battery indicator? I have noticed in the recent cold weather it can read one above centre initially then drops to the centre bar after a while.

Obviously the manual is next to useless but I was told that the Battery level should be in the mid point on 12 volts. This can move sightly when first starting the car in cold weather but it should settle in the middle of the display.

• Like 1

Thanks. Mine sounds normal behaviour then. Does yours do this as well?

Mine is much more volatile and moves well above and below the mid-point. After driving it for a while it always settles back to the middle. I have just noticed it over the last couple of weeks that it is much more random. Add that to the clock issue and I'm guessing it will be a good time to get it checked out and replaced if necessary.

Quite topical for me too. Mine wasn't really showing signs the way yours is; it basically went flat after being stood in the cold for over a week. I jump started it and it was ok - had it checked at a local garage and it was holding charge and being charged with no issues. The car would start ok after being left a day or two but would go flat after being left all week.

I think it was the original Battery (6 years!) and, after it wouldn't start last weekend I jump started it to get it replaced. A couple of things after doing that:

1. The car really didn't like having a flat Battery. The CEL came on and the 'check VSC' Warner on the display. The car was fine and all warnings went after the Battery was fully charged and the car turned off and on again. I since looked into it and was told (by Lexus and the U.S. forum) that it's normal for them to put up those warnings if the car does not receive the full voltage from the Battery after engine start.

2. Since it was Saturday afternoon I couldn't go to the dealer so went to Halfords first then ATS. Halfords wanted £130 and, whilst on my way I passed ATS who wanted £100 fitted so decided to go with them. Problem was, the Battery their catalogue said would fit - didn't! Same applied to a local parts supplier after reference from their Bosche catalogue. So I had to wait until Monday when I took it into lexus. They charged £88 fitted and now all is well - even after being left for well over a week.

My gauge shows one over the middle on a cold start but then rests in the middle after a few minutes - this was even the case with the Battery that had clearly seen better days!

Lastly I can't believe the difference since the Battery was changed - the car really does learn how you drive and adjusts gear change and power delivery accordingly. Mine now has to re-learn that! And I even had to set up the window switches again in order to allow me to lower the passenger windows from the driver's seat. Mental!

Sorry about the length of my reply but I hope this helps.

Quite topical for me too. Mine wasn't really showing signs the way yours is; it basically went flat after being stood in the cold for over a week. I jump started it and it was ok - had it checked at a local garage and it was holding charge and being charged with no issues. The car would start ok after being left a day or two but would go flat after being left all week.

I think it was the original battery (6 years!) and, after it wouldn't start last weekend I jump started it to get it replaced. A couple of things after doing that:

1. The car really didn't like having a flat battery. The CEL came on and the 'check VSC' Warner on the display. The car was fine and all warnings went after the battery was fully charged and the car turned off and on again. I since looked into it and was told (by Lexus and the U.S. forum) that it's normal for them to put up those warnings if the car does not receive the full voltage from the battery after engine start.

2. Since it was Saturday afternoon I couldn't go to the dealer so went to halfords first then ATS. Halfords wanted £130 and, whilst on my way I passed ATS who wanted £100 fitted so decided to go with them. Problem was, the battery their catalogue said would fit - didn't! Same applied to a local parts supplier after reference from their Bosche catalogue. So I had to wait until Monday when I took it into lexus. They charged £88 fitted and now all is well - even after being left for well over a week.

My gauge shows one over the middle on a cold start but then rests in the middle after a few minutes - this was even the case with the battery that had clearly seen better days!

Lastly I can't believe the difference since the battery was changed - the car really does learn how you drive and adjusts gear change and power delivery accordingly. Mine now has to re-learn that! And I even had to set up the window switches again in order to allow me to lower the passenger windows from the driver's seat. Mental!

Sorry about the length of my reply but I hope this helps.

It does help so many thanks...one of the good things about having a new Battery will be it learning my driving style.

Quick question...how do you set up window switches. May as well know now for next week.

Window switches - lower them half way then pull the switch up to close them. Hold the switch till the flashing green light turns solid. Do this for all of them.

You'll know if it's worked if all four are solid green on the drivers control panel.

You should now be able to open and close them all from the drivers control panel.

It's in the owners manual, but pretty sure that's accurate. :)

• Like 1

Window switches - lower them half way then pull the switch up to close them. Hold the switch till the flashing green light turns solid. Do this for all of them.

You'll know if it's worked if all four are solid green on the drivers control panel.

You should now be able to open and close them all from the drivers control panel.

It's in the owners manual, but pretty sure that's accurate. :)

Thank you Peter...much appreciated.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links