Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Question For Se-L With Air Suspension Owners...

Hi all,

A friend with a 1996 Range Rover that also has factory fit air suspension stopped by for Easter lunch last weekend. I noticed when they left (he had his missus and his two lads) and he started the Range up, the air suspension was really fast raising the car by an inch at least at all 4 corners within less than 3 seconds.

My RX in comparison would be compressing away for a good 10 seconds-ish to level the car after a 3 hour or so stop... If I leave it standing all weekend and go to drive it 2/3 days later, the compressor runs for a good 30-40 seconds.

Is this normal? What do other RX's do? Mine seems to subtly raise the car without the occupants realising (other than compressor noise) the Range was so fast it was almost violent (lol) and the occupants would definitely "feel" it raise up.

Thanks,

Chris.

Yeah, mine's about the same as yours.. Gentle raising with a couple of audible clicks as it switches air supply from front to rear...

I've got the expected timings in the workshop manual and recall that mine was about right, if not a little faster..

Cheers

Great, that's reassuring to know, thank you.

I've disabled the easy access mode on mine as we don't really need it all the time and figured the compressor would thank us in the long run! ;)

Cheers,

Chris

Mine is slow as well - but so subtle I hardly detect it. It doesn't seem to adjust much - unless I switch to Low or High, which I don't bother using.

I've also switched off the 'easy access' mode, and keep the height as Normal.

( I only switch it OFF for a tyre change - using that hidden, under-the-steering-wheel switch ).

Sounds similar to mine too, tend to hear the back end more than the front tho. but always very gentle and almost un-noticeable !

Was advised last MOT that i had a rear Height Sensor Ball joint seized.... anyone know whats involved in freeing this up, can it be done.... or is it a replacement job >>. ??

I thought this might be why i hear it running for around 20 -30 secs after starting off. Would that make sense ...anyone wiser than me here ?

cheers

Graeme

Hi All

I NEVER hear my Air Suspension compressor running on startup!! It may run as we go along but I don't know. How can you tell?

The Panel light shows Normal, lit in green. I believe it flashes if it doesn't work. I tried it when I bought the car back in August 2014 and it worked but I never touch it day to day. Are you supposed not to feel bumps such as bridge expansion joints because we do as we are going along.

I'm sorry I can't be more help but the car is level and I've had it serviced by someone who owns an Rx300 but not an SE-L and he didn't say anything about a problem. The car is a beautiful Motorway cruiser which is what I bought it for.

Hoping this helps

Murphybear

Graeme.. There's a pic of a rear height sensor in this post http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/97659-Rx300-Se-L-Height-Sensor-Fix

The balljoint is on the end of the swingarm bit.. although for someone to pick this up on an MOT is surprisingly thorough, I'd say..

You could certainly pop the bolt out and give the balljoint a wiggle in-situ to free it up. It's tiny and wouldn't put up much of a struggle but I'd be inclined to ignore it..

Your compressor run on startup does seem long to me, unless you have the easy access mode enabled, perhaps?

Hi PCM

You are probably right!! I have heard the engine revs increase after startup but I haven't noticed any movement. I'll make a special note to listen next time I use the car, which isn't every day, and see if I can detect any movement.

Murphybear

I'm going to listen out too - and time it.

( My beloved Lexus Soarer also had air suspension ( TEMS ). It worked happily for 20 years.

On occasions I would hear it 'pump up', but it was never an issue )

HI Craig, thanks for the info, and pics, I do have the "easy access" activated, well i did until i remembered to nock it off today, so will monitor how it goes.

I agree it was a stiff mot that noticed it, it was Lexus Glasgow that did it with the service. I do notice the suspension seems a bit rigid or firm and I'm sure the whole car is sitting high'ish ....might this be stemming from this sensor setting the car higher than norm and the other air springs...levelling to this height. ?

All four wheel to arch distances seem consistent but just quite high i think with the normal ride position selected. Though, assessing suspension harshness properly is hindered by my driving with my tyres a few pounds harder to try to establish if it stops the outer edge wear on the fronts. Someone on another thread suggest a could of pounds extra was a fix but heck our roads dont half make u notice it.

cheers again.

Ps , checked on Amayama Parts, for replacement sensor...around £125 plus import duty/shipping from Singapore. Guessing around £150 total...Used them before for other stuff and saved big time.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 2/19/2020 at 8:46 PM, Easy said:

My RX300 SE-L 2004 model  seem to be higher at front than the rear, what could be the problem please someone help me out.

@Easy do you still have your RX300 SEL? If so, did you ge the issue resolved with front struts higher than rear (if you can remember)? I'm having a similar issue...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links