Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Thinking About Getting An Is200.

Mr Reman

Hi everyone, Sorry that my first post's a question bomb, But here goes....

I registered on here because I've been thinking about replacing my Mk1 MX5 with something a little more practical. My only real criteria for a replacement is that I want another rear wheel drive car with a manual gearbox. I thought about loads of different cars ranging from 3 series BMW's to 200sx's but keep coming back to the idea of getting an Early IS200.

I've been looking at them on eBay and can't understand why nice '00 to '02 reg ones only go for around the £2000 to £2500 mark, But the asking price for '03 and '04 cars seem to jump by well over a grand? Was there some sort or minor revision or update around that time that makes them more desirable? Unless the reason's something major I think I'll keep looking in the two to two and a half grand range.

Also, After reading the sites "What to look out for" guide I can't believe that the handful of reasonably minor problems mentioned are the only (Model specific) stuff I should be looking out for. Is there anything in particular to watch out for on an '00 to '02 plate IS200?

As I drive a van for work, My MX5 only gets used for weekend trips to see friends, Blowing out the cobwebs on twisty roads and the occasionally shopping trip (I only do about 1000 to 1500 private miles a year...... Compared to the 100,000 or so I do in the works van). Would it be likely that weeks of inactivity could cause problems (I need to free up my MX5's callipers for pretty much every MOT)?

As it would predominantly be a weekend fun car, Would the Sport model be worth going after?

Am I right in thinking that when I see one listed as a "IS200 Navigator" it just means that the car has satnav?

What sort of price would I be looking at for a major service, And how often (Time rather than mileage) does an IS200 need them?

As I said at the start, I'm sorry that my first post here is so question heavy, But as a pessimist, I can't believe that the IS200 ticks so many plus boxes without having that much in the way of negative points.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Scotty B.

hi , not been long on the lexus path myself (2 weeks) but can only praise what i have found ,

i tried a couple of 200's but in the end the 300 sportcross ticked more boxes for me ,

the bad mpg i was expecting has not proved true , the ride quality & drive is sublime with great cabin feel & standard extras that would embarrass most high end german motors even now , , & mine is 9yrs old & cost me £2700 !! xenon's,tinted glass,heated seats,satnav,6 disc in dash cd,anti glare mirrors etc etc

try one out , i was left wondering where the catch was when i drove away in mine , , but there ain't one

since i bought i made service enquiries , oil & filter change at main dealer yearly £119 with courtesy car , discs & pads can be purchased for under £200 for all 4 corners if you have a good indie to do the work , timing belt on mine is at 100k i believe , not sure about the 200,s

enjoy the search & if you get chance try a 300 , ,210 bhp of pure creaminess :winky:

if you get chance try a 300

I did contemplate a 300, But I've read that all the early ones were automatics.

To be honest, I'd rather cut my left leg off than drive an automa........ Oh, Hang on a second. :P

Scotty B.

its a marmite thing , my manual passat i love ,the 300 sportcross has button shift on wheel can't see me ever using it though for me the auto can do all & more the manual can , which can't be said in reverse :duh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links